To my poz friends, I hear you: let's combat stigma together

Rusty Blue
This topic is 2841 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is a great article, a must read for everyone! Today I saw this chart at the clinic where I volunteer, and think it's definitely worth sharing. I (and I'm sure many others), for a long time thought that if took a load from an HIV positive guy (with a detectable viral load), that it was near a 100% chance of seroconversion, but statistically the chance is 1 in 70, however during the acute phase (typically the first 12 weeks after contracting HIV), the chance of transition goes up to about 1 in 3. All the more reason why it's important to get tested regularly, and to not ignore possible signs or symptoms. It's always all the more reason to have a doctor that is compassionate and supportive of your sexual health.

http://www.hudsonvalleycs.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/HIVRisk_Chart.jpg

This is a great article, a must read for everyone! Today I saw this chart at the clinic where I volunteer, and think it's definitely worth sharing. I (and I'm sure many others), for a long time thought that if took a load from an HIV positive guy (with a detectable viral load), that it was near a 100% chance of seroconversion, but statistically the chance is 1 in 70, however during the acute phase (typically the first 12 weeks after contracting HIV), the chance of transition goes up to about 1 in 3. All the more reason why it's important to get tested regularly, and to not ignore possible signs or symptoms. It's always all the more reason to have a doctor that is compassionate and supportive of your sexual health.

http://www.hudsonvalleycs.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/HIVRisk_Chart.jpg

So, if I suck off a POZ guy, swallow his cum, my risk is still low?

I'm not an expert, and I wish one would chime in. As I understand it, the risk in oral sex with a positive partner is from semen or precum in your mouth, not from swallowing.
I'm pretty certain that's the case, as the cum would need to enter your bloodstream, like through a mouth sore or tender/bleeding gums. So unless you had throat pollups or some other sore in the throat, swallowing wouldn't really matter. That's why the chances of transmission, at most, are 1 in 7,500.

Archived