New York

stop
This topic is 2859 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am living in NY about 1 week a month now for work...any suggestions on bars to go to? Not looking for dance clubs, just decent gay bars with pool tables, pinball etc.

I know about the Eagle and the later evening type bars but curious where the locals hang out for a beer or two after work.

Hi @jeepo1 ! Don't laugh, but my favorite gay bar in NYC is not in Manhattan. It is in Brooklyn and it is called Excelsior. It is primarily a neighborhood bar with a nice diversity of guys, very friendly crowd and bar tenders. There is a dance floor upstairs, but downstairs is a great gathering place. Busy Thursday, Saturday nights will draw some tourists. If you stay past midnight lots of cute boys returning from city swing by for one last drink...and perhaps looking to get lucky before going to their more affordable (yeah, right!) Brooklyn pads.

This bar is in a neighborhood called Park Slope, Brooklyn, and conveniently located on 5th avenue which has tons of cool places to eat (highly recommend Al Di La Trattoria and Stone Park Cafe for great meals before heading to the bar). Super easy to catch Uber back & forth. Also, if you like Sushi or seafood, the original Blue Ribbon restaurant is about 10 blocks away.

Good luck & enjoy your visits to NYC!

Hi @jeepo1 ! Don't laugh, but my favorite gay bar in NYC is not in Manhattan. It is in Brooklyn and it is called Excelsior. It is primarily a neighborhood bar with a nice diversity of guys, very friendly crowd and bar tenders. There is a dance floor upstairs, but downstairs is a great gathering place. Busy Thursday, Saturday nights will draw some tourists. If you stay past midnight lots of cute boys returning from city swing by for one last drink...and perhaps looking to get lucky before going to their more affordable (yeah, right!) Brooklyn pads.

This bar is in a neighborhood called Park Slope, Brooklyn, and conveniently located on 5th avenue which has tons of cool places to eat (highly recommend Al Di La Trattoria and Stone Park Cafe for great meals before heading to the bar). Super easy to catch Uber back & forth. Also, if you like Sushi or seafood, the original Blue Ribbon restaurant is about 10 blocks away.

Good luck & enjoy your visits to NYC!

Thanks True, great help, haven't made it over to Brooklyn yet but planning on my next visit. will check it out.

I have not been in NYC for a while, but if you like singing old Brodway hits with a martini in your hand, The Moster used to have a nice piano bar. And a very diverse (age, size, nationality, and ethnicity) and cruisy crowd.

Doesn't the Monster have a good go-go boy night too? I've been there twice and enjoyed listening to the piano crowd. Some good singers.

Doesn't the Monster have a good go-go boy night too? I've been there twice and enjoyed listening to the piano crowd.

Yes, I think there is a thread about it. That event is after my NYC life. To make it even better, across the street at the national monument Stonewall Inn there is also a strip show, I think on the same day. Next time I visit I will be crossing the street countless times.

I second @latbear4blk's recommendation of Monster in the strongest terms! Great place where pickups of anybody can happen across all lines of age and most any other differences between you and him.

Also yes, Spunk is the go-go boy night there on Thursdays. Highly rated by posters who have been (I have not alas).

Adonis on Wednesday nights at the Stonewall Inn and Spunk on Thursday night in the basement of Monster. I have not been to Adonis since they moved to Stonewall but there have been mixed reviews. Spunk gets two ..uhm.. thumbs up. There is something called Manster at the Monster in the basement on Saturday nights that purports to have skimpily clad men but I have never been. The street level of Monster is a large bar with a lively and friendly crowd.

This site often has pictures of parties at the various venues. Just search on the name of the party or bar... e.g. "Spunk"... or "Monster"

Adonis on Wednesday nights at the Stonewall Inn and Spunk on Thursday night in the basement of Monster. I have not been to Adonis since they moved to Stonewall but there have been mixed reviews. Spunk gets two ..uhm.. thumbs up. There is something called Manster at the Monster in the basement on Saturday nights that purports to have skimpily clad men but I have never been. The street level of Monster is a large bar with a lively and friendly crowd.

This site often has pictures of parties at the various venues. Just search on the name of the party or bar... e.g. "Spunk"... or "Monster"

Omg! I recognize those mirrored stairs, so many hunting memories in my golden years! It looks like the place has not changed a bit in all this long time.

Archived