New Timepiece Query-Do You Remember Your 1st?

Gar1eth
This topic is 2917 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If I remember correctly, I was 8 and in third grade. My family had been teaching me to tell time. But I think the fact that the little hand showed whole hours but the big hand pointing to the same numbers now had them as multiples of 5 was messing me up.

I was given a gold Timex with a second hand for Hanukkah that year. The watch needed to be wound and the date set. Once I had the watch and put it on, we found out that I could actually tell time. For some reason actually having the watch pulled together all the knowledge my family had been teaching me.

I received the watch in December. I do remember that I and at least one other of my classmates thinking it was hilarious that the watch didn't know that February only had 28 days. And that I had to adjust the watch' date when March 1970 rolled around.

Gman

My first watch....was a gift from a very wealthy boyfriend at Christmas.

It was our first Christmas together and my parents came to visit.

It was also the first time my parents met someone I was dating.

One their way home my father called me and said "Son, you need to keep that one".

Of course I thought he was talking about my wonderful new beau.

His response? "No...I meant the watch son...I looked it up...it's expensive...keep it"

The boyfriend?...."Son, I don't know anything about homosexuals....you're on your own...good luck!"

It's one of my favorite funny memories of my father.

The boyfriend lasted 3 years....I still have the watch.

I think I also got the Marx Shooting Gallery either that year or the next year. I loved that toy!!

Gman

I had one of those too!! I loved it likewise. However, the noise drove everybody in the house nuts. :D

As for watches, I got my first one for my 9th birthday. A steel thing with heavy radium numerals. :eek:

After four years or so, the cheap plastic wristband broke, and thereafter I carried it around in my pocket for some time.

I still await with some dread the testicular cancer. :confused:

When we moved the summer before sixth grade, I was given a digital Casio, with the calculator buttons on the face. From the new house, I was going to have to take a city bus, with a transfer, to school, so Mum and Pops wanted me to have some time management tools, and the watch was my " welcome to no longer being a little kid" gift. Feel naked without something on my wrist, even all these years on.

Archived