The Durrells

This topic is 1945 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Not sure if it will make its way to PBS anytime soon, but just finished watching a very sweet ITV show about the family of conservationist, Gerald Durrell. Good acting, wonderful cast, and a treat to see Leslie Caron in a role. Based on his autobiographical books that comprised the Corfu Trilogy. Well worth a watch if you have a chance.

Edited by Reluctant Daddy

• 1 year later...

The Durrells in Corfu Season 2

Airs October 15th

Keeley Hawes (Upstairs Downstairs) stars as an intrepid widow who decamps from dreary England to a sun-dappled Greek island with her four recalcitrant children, ages 11 to 21, on this adaptation of Gerald Durrell’s My Family and Other Animals and its two sequels.

...and who can forget the gorgeous Sven, who pinged on my gaydar early on.

And here is Garden of the Gods

A documentary with Gerald Durrell in Corfu 1967. It also featured Theodore Stephanides, and the fourteen-year-old Andreas Damaskinos (son of Corfu’s Director of Tourism). The ostensible reason for the film was Gerald’s promise to introduce the boy to the landscape and flora and fauna, as well as the history and folklore, of Corfu, suggestive of his own experiences at the same age, thirty years earlier.

@Gar1eth - it's rarely too late...

From Wikipedia

The Durrell family included:

Lawrence Samuel Durrell (1884–1928), an Anglo-Indian engineer, his wife Louisa Florence Durrell (1886–1964) and their children:

Lawrence Samuel Durrell, Louisa Durrell and their children were all born in India during the British Raj as was Louisa Durrell's father. Following Lawrence Samuel Durrell's death in 1928, Mrs Durrell and her three younger children moved to England, where Lawrence had already been sent to be educated. In 1935 they moved to Corfu, following Lawrence's earlier move there with his wife Nancy. They remained in Corfu until 1939, when the outbreak of World War II forced most of them to return to England. Gerald's autobiographical Corfu Trilogy and several short stories record the family's time in Corfu, albeit in a heavily fictionalized way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I missed this thread and only started watching THE DURRELLS IN CORFU recently on the recommendation of a friend. I've now seen three episodes of the first season, and I'm liking it very much.

Three seasons are now available on Amazon Prime. Filming of a fourth season was reported to be mostly done as of late last year. (Exteriors are filmed on location; most interior scenes are filmed on soundstages back in the UK.)

Well worth a look.