Home again, Home again

Trixie
This topic is 7175 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello Young Lovers!!

I am back from my travels, and more or less healthy again. There's nothing like good old Western Medicine-style antibiotics to kick ass when it comes to a runny ass...

but enough about that.

The two countries I visited, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan, are both fascinating places. I can highly recommend them to anyone who likes a bit of adventure in their holidays.

Kyrgyzstan is a high, mountainous place. No matter where you are, there's always a snow-capped peak somewhere in the distance. The people there are still semi-nomadic (80 years of Soviet rule couldn't quite beat it out of them), moving up into the alpine pastures for the summer to graze their herds. Thanks to a Swiss NonProfit Organization, tourists can stay with the shepherds in their yurts, as I did. A great experience, although I woudn't make a habit out of it. It takes a long time to get the scent of mutton fat out of one's hair.

Uzbekistan is in the lowlands mainly, and mainly desert. It's a more settled place, some of it's cities dating back 2000 years or more. Samarkand's fabled architectural ensemble, the Registan (every Uzbek city had a "Registan", the town square so to speak, but only Samarkand has "THE Registan") is more exquisite than I dared hope. Seeing it for the first time literally brings a tear to the eye.

Uzbek men, in particular, are quite attractive. A few millenia of migrations and invasions have left them with a unique blend of persian, mongol and russian features. A tasty mix, sure to please almost anyone! And they sport a lovely array of hats.

But as lovely as it is to travel, it's always swell to come back home! So what's new here? Did I miss anything?

La Trix

Archived