tipping for massage?

s99099
This topic is 2930 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think this has been discussed in a recent thread, perhaps in March. When I pay $160, which is fast becoming the standard hourly rate in New York, I do not feel the need to tip. I frequent an excellent masseur who charges only $90 for an hour, and I tip $20 because his rate is so low. In direct answer to your question, no you're not "supposed" to tip in New York. Obviously, it's up to you. If a masseur feels he is undervalued at $160, he will raise his rates, and I have the option of paying it or not. I've been with a masseur for about 7-8 years, and he's just raised his rates to $190 per hour. He charges $150 for 45 or 50 minutes. I haven't said anything to him, but I'm not going to see him any more.

I can't speak from experience, but I doubt that New York masseurs expect tips where masseurs in Los Angeles or Washington or Chicago don't. I don't agree with Scorpioguy when he says that tipping for everything in New York is a general rule. He's a generous soul; good for him, but there's nothing special about New York in that regard.

And this non-tipper has never had a masseur decline my business.

If it's in a spa, where you know they sre not getting all of that money, you generally should tip. The spas I've been to recommend 20%. Technically you are not supposed to tip the proprietor of the establishment, which would seem to include solo practitioners. If you are paying $160+/hr and it's not at a spa, I would say you should not feel an obligation to tip.

Regarding places where there is takeout food, you certainly don't need to tip at the 15-20% level. That rule of thumb is for workers who the establishment is paying below the minimum wage based on the fact they are tipped employees. Cahsiers and counterpeople are not subject to that lower minimum, and in places like Starbucks they are making over mnimum wage. You can tip if you want to but it doesn't need to be like what you would tip a waiter/waitress or bartender. That said, while when these tup jars started I boycotted them, the reality is that minimum wage has not kept up with inflation and most of these places pay people the bare minimum, so I do tip something now.

Sniper is right about spas; the workers do not get all the money you pay, unlike a masseur who advertises on M4M. Yes, those people should be tipped. I forgot about that because I don't go to spas.

As for DonaldTramp: you pay $4 for a donut? I have a bridge I'd like to sell you! (And I won't expect a tip!)

Archived