Happy Pesach!!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 3009 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are multiple stories about light and heavy/dense matzah balls. Some families prefer one-other families the other. My Mom's were very light except maybe once or twice when they didn't turn out that way. Hey cooking is an art and not a science. Even Homer occasionally nods as they say.

My family also had chicken soup and matzah balls for the High Holy Days in the fall. We usually celebrated with a family down the street from us. The Mrs. of that family was my mother's best friend. When I was 16 my mother had just had major surgery right before the High Holy Days and wasn't able to contribute any food or to attend the meal. My mother's best friend was an excellent cook. But she made-either intentionally or because she didn't know any better-hard matzah balls.

So I'm there at the meal most likely with my father. Afterwards being the polite boy that I was, I went up to hostess told her the meal was very good and thanked her for having me over. She said to me -"Well the matzah balls weren't as good as your mother's." This was all true as hers were hard as rocks. However being the polite 16 year old that I was, I didn't want her feeling bad about her matzah balls. So I replied to her, "But your family likes yours.":p

It might be hard to believe but I was still welcome in that house for years until they moved out of town when I was in grad school.

Gman

To quote myself:

To paraphrase How to be a Jewish Mother:

Compliments should be avoided. They either make someone uncomfortable, which is bad, or give someone a swelled head, which is worse. There are, however, times when a compliment is absolutely necessary:

"Myrtle, what's wrong? It looks like you're wearing a wig."

"I am. All my hair fell out."

"Well, it's so natural, nobody will ever notice!"

I thought a repeat was appropriate. Oh, and for the record: I'm not Jewish. At my home village [yes, that's what it was, legally], all the Catholics went to catholic school, leaving the Jews and the Gentiles to schule together.

To quote myself:

To paraphrase How to be a Jewish Mother:

Compliments should be avoided. They either make someone uncomfortable, which is bad, or give someone a swelled head, which is worse. There are, however, times when a compliment is absolutely necessary:

I'd have to disagree with this author. :confused:

At my home village [yes, that's what it was, legally], all the Catholics went to catholic school, leaving the Jews and the Gentiles to schule together.

Don't you mean 'the remaining' Gentiles?o_O

Gman

Archived