Planet Fitness

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 2962 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why we REALLY go to the gym!

051a67174869e3128611051c4ec44ce444b33b-wm.jpg

Yep!

http://i3.cpcache.com/product_zoom/100531801/im_here_for_the_eye_candy_gym_humor_classic_tho.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true

Such as:

222859583b97d0ae729307c1b519ee06.jpg

http://us.123rf.com/450wm/improvisor/improvisor1506/improvisor150600065/41422139-closeup-portrait-of-a-muscular-man-workout-with-barbell-at-gym-brutal-bodybuilder-athletic-man-with-.jpg?ver=6

hqdefault.jpg

I recently lost 35 lbs and would like to join a gym to tone it all up. Unfortunately, the most convenient gym happens to be a Planet Fitness franchise. I know it's not a gym for serious bodybuilders, but any thoughts on its effectiveness as a legitimate gym to get in shape and take off a few more pounds? I'd be satisfied just toning up at this point.

Interested to hear from any current or former members and their experiences.

P.S. I have no plans on taking advantage of Free Pizza Night, Free Bagel Morning, or the free Tootsie Rolls at the counter.

PF is a great place to get your gym routine going. It's not fancy, the free weights don't get very heavy, the machines are basic - but, for the price, it works. And like someone else said, getting there is the most important thing.

Planet Fittness Eye Candy:

maxresdefault.jpg

http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/5vH4dH53KZmI4CjPFqtdeQ/o.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzEjLahs6lkWMBieqcdT_Fkob-ib5FfWhsHJkShKtxlGdKzGg9

e3eb36dfa4bc8dc581757f2a91d5158f.jpg

All kidding aside! As they say it's a Judgemant Free Zone! Plus, as long as one gets their butt there and does what one needs to do it certainly works! In fact some might actually feel more comfortable working out in such an environment with just regular folks!

Congratulations on your weight loss. I lost 90 pounds two years ago and have kept it off, so I hope I can make a couple of suggestions. First, diet and exercise go together, so don't neglect either. The gym is probably less important than the type of workout. I strongly recommend a full fitness evaluation with a professionally certified trainer, and I suggest that s/he start you out slowly with lighter exercises where you can build up stamina and endurance. And either pay the trainer to help you work out, or find an exercise buddy who will give you constant encouragement. I started at the YMCA because the trainer was the son of a friend, and he took me from light cardio to light weight machines to more heavy duty weight training. It is not nearby but I still work out with him weekly because he has brought me so far. For daily workouts my local LA Fitness serves the purpose; it is huge and has tons of weights, equipment, and plenty of group classes which I love. It's also filthy and not well managed, but my health insurance reimburses the cost of membership so it's worth the price. Consider starting at PF and moving on as your needs change. And keep up the good work; your good health is your life.

Congratulations to you on your weight loss as well! I did lots of cardio initially while dieting. I've now changed the way I eat and what I eat (with an occasional minor cheat every week). I have a trainer lined up once each week at a facility he has access to on weekends. He's going to build a routine after an assessment, and we'll go from there.

Still don't think that at least something approaching six pack abs is out of reach.

I've lost my "keg" so anything less than that's a plus. I'll settle for firm and comfy at this point.

Planet Fitness is a very no-frills gym. There are no classes of any kind, the gyms comprise of 70% cardio machines, 15% machines, and 15% free weights. If you know what you're doing, you'll be able to work out here and get a decent burn.

As Eric Hassan said, the free weights don't get very heavy, but pressing 60-pound dumbbells (the heaviest they get IIRC) isn't exactly light for a good number of people. :)

If you don't like doing cardio, you'll like going to PF. Most of the people who go to the gym the same time as I do spend an hour on the treadmill, leaving me practically the entire free weights area. Can't complain!

They do have personal trainers on staff that will help you with an exercise program if you need help getting started. Now, do your homework as well and consult with another fitness professional because some of the trainers that they employ may lack the proper credentials to dispense fitness advice.

They also do not give you a nutritional plan, which is more important. Come to think of it, how can they give counseling on what you should eat when they give out free pizzas and bagels?

At any rate, I would say go ahead and join (if they have a no-commitment option, even better). The most important thing is that you go as often as you can.

Congrats on the weight loss as well!

Planet Fittness Eye Candy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzEjLahs6lkWMBieqcdT_Fkob-ib5FfWhsHJkShKtxlGdKzGg9

All kidding aside! As they say it's a Judgemant Free Zone! Plus, as long as one gets their butt there and does what one needs to do it certainly works! In fact some might actually feel more comfortable working out in such an environment with just regular folks!

What am I missing with this photo? Is it what's on the TV?

A big enthusiastic +1...

I think the word diet is counter productive. It should always be a life style change. You just have to start. As @whipped guy has said here many times before, when you go shopping, stay on the perimeter of the store, and stay out of the center isles if at all possible. And bring your wallet and be prepared for a slight increase in your bill. Fresh is not always cheap, or easy, but what is?.... OK don't answer that :D

Sorry, but food is one of life's greatest Pleasures, and the stuff that is good for you, tastes like SHIT !

I wish they allowed Haggling in supermarkets and restaurants. :D

I'll take one exception to that: Quinoa. It tastes good (kinda nutty); it's only a little painful to prepare (four rinses on the last batch); and extends a meal with PROTEIN instead of RICE; which, admittedly, if consumed with the proper legume, does constitute a complete protein.

[PM me for an explanation if y'all need one, regarding: Complete Protein]

I belong to the Boston Sports Club. There are other branches: New York Sports Club; Philadelphia Sports Club; and Washington Sports Club.

It's not cheap, and the trainer is about $900 a month (for 12 sessions), but I have enough orthopedic issues that I would have seriously injured myself by now. And he has a Master's degree in Exercise Physiology. [And he's cute and blond and hunky and likes Science Fiction].

FOR ME, this has been a god-send. The pool is small, but it's there (Planet Fitness is pool free, I do believe). And I go at noon, which is relatively dead.

So, not meaning to denegrate the OP: Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.

I just ate a bag of Fritos so my opinion probably should be discounted, but I'm a PF member and think it isn't half bad. The fact that you can bring guests for free with the black card is a real plus for a social butterfly, but I'm more of a social caterpillar, so what would I know of love's austere and lonely orifices?

Quite a few years ago (I think when they were first opened) I got kicked out of a PF in a city I was visiting because of wearing a do-rag (otherwise my wild hair would have been everywhere), and my sleeveless shirt showing off the second of three tatts.

Archived