Justin Bieber is "Dreadful"

jjkrkwood
This topic is 2234 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I hate dreads, braids, etc. on white guys irrespective of whether they look good or not. White people ripped black people out of their homes and now hairstyles created by the latter for cultural and aesthetic reasons (because black hair and haircare are totally different) have become the latest accessory for a classless, entitled white singer? No thanks.

There isn't the same association with slavery, but I can't stand it when Kpop stars and their stylists rip off black hairstyles either. They're not indigenous to Korea, the styles don't address issues Koreans have with their hair, and it's disrespectful. It makes videos by some of my favorite artists hard or impossible to watch.

Is it really that big a deal? Maybe he just likes the look.

T

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little questioning of the whole idea of cultural appropriation, and if it is a thing, where does it start and end. Some cultural expressions may be seen as defining a particular cultural group, but others are just something that members of the group like. Anglo-Australians and -Americans have 'appropriated' food culture from every immigrant group. What is the line, if there even is one, between cultural appropriation and adopting and adapting an idea? Can it be respectful, or is it always a type of theft? Oh, and on dreads, who do they belong to? Are they Afro-Caribbean culture that African Americans have appropriated? Are they part of an Ethiopian culture that Jamaicans appropriated? Or are they all of the above as well as being a hippy cultural artefact used by all sorts of people? I think in Bieber's case it is an affectation.

I hate dreads, braids, etc. on white guys irrespective of whether they look good or not. White people ripped black people out of their homes and now hairstyles created by the latter for cultural and aesthetic reasons (because black hair and haircare are totally different) have become the latest accessory for a classless, entitled white singer? No thanks.

There isn't the same association with slavery, but I can't stand it when Kpop stars and their stylists rip off black hairstyles either. They're not indigenous to Korea, the styles don't address issues Koreans have with their hair, and it's disrespectful. It makes videos by some of my favorite artists hard or impossible to watch.

For the love of Shaka Zulu and the white devil masters! Cultures have been borrowing and stealing from each other since the start of time. That'd be me saying oh no! The negros stole mac n cheese from the Italians! Pretty stupid.

Hugs,

Greg

For the love of Shaka Zulu and the white devil masters! Cultures have been borrowing and stealing from each other since the start of time. That'd be me saying oh no! The negros stole mac n cheese from the Italians! Pretty stupid.

Hugs,

Greg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm64o6yTyo1qdq5u6.gif

NOT for NOTHING, or that I'm acting sensitive in this matter... BUT can we check the date of these pictures? Lettuce get a little more current.

Wait...

Pause....

Let me :)

justin-bieber-tickets.jpg.870x570_q70_crop-smart_upscale.jpg

http://c.directlyrics.com/img/upload/justin-bieber-calvin-klein-2016-underwear.jpg http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/justin-bieber-gq-tattoo-vid-2016-billboard-650.jpg

Honestly, He's not my usual "type" but anyone who can sing is pretty much sold. As Nicki Minaj would say, "this pussy wet, this pussy squeaky"

Hugs,

Greg

Absolutely, Greg. Most of the world eats hamburgers and millions wear neckties. Is this cultural misappropriation, too? I don't care for dreads as an affectation on Caucasians, but wtf, kids love to experiment. Not everything has to be a cause celebre! (I wish I knew how to insert the correct accent marks on my notebook when I write in French.)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Absolutely, Greg. Most of the world eats hamburgers and millions wear neckties. Is this cultural misappropriation, too? I don't care for dreads as an affectation on Caucasians, but wtf, kids love to experiment. Not everything has to be a cause celebre! (I wish I knew how to insert the correct accent marks on my notebook when I write in French.)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

So right glennnn, I clearly see where Justin was going with this...

http://cdn2.thegloss.com/wp-content/gallery/westminster-dog-show-hair/komondorak-westminster.jpg

OK, so here's the newest teen heartthrob Brooklyn Beckham, son of David Beckham, rocking the new "white boy in dreads" trend. He looks cool, hip and natural, unlike BVB's baby boy Bieber, who just looks like a bratty white boy playing dress up for Halloween....

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/brooklyn-braids/brooklyn-beckham-wears-his-hair-in-braids-at-coachella-2016-10.jpg