Red Speedo

uwsman2
This topic is 2974 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm astonished that nobody here, of all places, has mentioned a play in which the main character spends the entire play on stage in a tight red speedo and nothing else. And actor Alex Breaux obviously struggled and suffered to achieve the tight muscle tone of a champion swimmer to play this part. Some will find him exaggeratedly skinny and tight, but for those into muscular ectomorphs (as I am), he is very hot. The drama is hot, too, quite intense, with a terrifying ending. At NY Theatre Workshop until April 3.

I saw "Red Speedo" this afternoon, and liked it a lot. The play lasts only 80 minutes, and though the main character is in a red speedo, with a swimmer's build (Alex Breaux played tight end at Harvard), this is not at all a gay-themed play. (He's on stage for the 80 minutes.) He's a wonderful actor; the 4-member cast is excellent.

I'd say it's about ethics, using championship swimming as a vehicle for posing and discussing the questions.

I also liked "Red Speedo". Alex Breaux is quite the physical specimen and I was relieved to find out that his horrific tattoo is actually part of the plot. Plus, how many plays have a swimming pool as part of the set. I was unprepared for the violent ending.

and though the main character is in a red speedo, with a swimmer's build (Alex Breaux played tight end at Harvard), this is not at all a gay-themed play.

As if the expectation is that any male nudity onstage (or even onscreen) is automatically "gay-themed"? That's a pretty ridiculous expectation if you think about it for a minute. ;-)

But any play showing lots of hot boy skin is going to attract a gay audience, regardless of the plot.

Regardless of the plot, exactly. And just as many straight women will surely be interested too. I don't see why male nudity should be considered something that only gay men would be interested in, or why it would be assumed at all that the play would be gay-themed just because there's male nudity. Would we, for even a second, think that only lesbians would go to see a show with female nudity?

Regardless of the plot, exactly. And just as many straight women will surely be interested too. I don't see why male nudity should be considered something that only gay men would be interested in, or why it would be assumed at all that the play would be gay-themed just because there's male nudity. Would we, for even a second, think that only lesbians would go to see a show with female nudity?

Nobody said only. Of course straight women would be attracted to see this as well. And straight jocks will want to compare... But I think this play will especially entice gay men.

I'm astonished that nobody here, of all places, has mentioned a play in which the main character spends the entire play on stage in a tight red speedo and nothing else. And actor Alex Breaux obviously struggled and suffered to achieve the tight muscle tone of a champion swimmer to play this part. Some will find him exaggeratedly skinny and tight, but for those into muscular ectomorphs (as I am), he is very hot. The drama is hot, too, quite intense, with a terrifying ending. At NY Theatre Workshop until April 3.

here's the musical version.

Archived