Comedy suggestions?

ChrisWydeman
This topic is 3023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My definition of dark comedy is pretty wide, but here are some of my faves & hope you find some interesting

1. Network
  2. Brazil
  3. Heathers
  4. Evil Dead
  5. Throw Mama from the train
  6. Death becomes her
  7. War of the roses
  8. Welcome to the dollhouse
  9. To die for
  10. Rules of attraction

All about Eve and who's is afraid of Virginia Woolf are classics. Again, IMO, dark or comedy dramas.

Cabin in the Woods

Serial Mom

Repo Man

Murder By Death

And of course, Alfred Hitchcock himself considered Psycho a comedy. If you have already seen it and paid attention the first time around, it really is funny on later viewings. If you have a dark sense of humor.

Hmmmm, my list is 2010s, 1990s, 1980s, 1970s, and 1960s. Sorry--can't think of one from the 2000s.

But let's add Kind Hearts and Coronets (1940s) with Alec Guness in multiple roles, and Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb (1960s) with Peter Sellars in multiple roles.

1) Wild Tales (Argentina)

2) Four Lions (England)

3) Kung Fu Hustle

Hadn't thought about it, but I second Kung Fu Hustle. I'm otherwise partial to slapstick and physical comedy, which doesn't really mesh with your preferences.

Oh, here's another one: Kevin Smith's Dogma. And for just plain quirky/weird, there's always Napoleon Dynamite.

I second Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Very funny with shades of dark though not really dark. Others I recommend... Drop Dead Gorgeous (beauty Queens dying), Sordid Lives (momma's dead and the family is a mess), Election (little miss perfect bitch runs for class pres) and Little Miss Sunshine (awkward little pagent girl has big dreams and not much else going for her... Sort of) .

A Fish Called Wanda.

You can't go wrong with John Cleese, Jamie Leigh Curtis, and Kevin Kline.

And speaking of John Cleese, any Monty Python film from Spamalot to the Meaning of Life.

If really dark comedy satire is what you seek, then try The Loved One. A satire of death and dying with Jonathan Winters, Rod Steiger, and Robert Morse. Look for cameos by Milton Berle, John Geilgud, and Liberace among many others. The film has a few flaws, like Robert Morse unable to maintain an English accent, but it's darkly funny. Reviled by critics at the time it is now considered among the first anti- establishment films of the 1960s.

Just about the entire Mel Brooks catalog. The Producers (original version) with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. The Twelve Chairs with Ron Moody, Frank Langella, and Dom DeLuise.

Blazing Saddles - this film would never be made today.

Young Frankenstein - Gene Wilder and Madeline Khan at their best.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights - cameos galore and Tracy Ulman is awesome.

If really dark comedy satire is what you seek, then try The Loved One. A satire of death and dying with Jonathan Winters, Rod Steiger, and Robert Morse. Look for cameos by Milton Berle, John Geilgud, and Liberace among many others. The film has a few flaws, like Robert Morse unable to maintain an English accent, but it's darkly funny. Reviled by critics at the time it is now considered among the first anti- establishment films of the 1960s.

Yes! I love this movie

Archived