BBC Series - Cuffs

mike carey
This topic is 3080 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just watched the first episode of this BBC series on ABC Australia. It's a cop series that is more focussed on the cops in the show than on the police drama that is playing out. There's nothing out of the box as far as the acting is concerned but it is enjoyable. It could have become a new 'The Bill' if the BBC had kept it going. (They canned it after one season but have said they will do another season after there was a petition to keep it going.)

There are two gay characters in the show, one who is identified in this episode and another who is identified in the Wiki article about it. The gay guy in this episode is a newbie cop assigned to a mentor (who is harsh on him) and who happens to be black. There is absolutely no mention of race in any of their dealings with each other or with other characters in the show. The only mentions of sexuality are when the gay cop tells his partner that he is gay, and when the mentor asks whether he had called a lawyer whom he had seen pass a business card to the gay cop, and advised him not to sleep with the enemy.

The young Welsh actor who plays the cop (I wrote about this when the show first appeared last fall), the gay one, was plucked out of drama school and this was his first acting gig. He's quite good looking and is shirtless quite a bit although he definitely needs to get in the gym. He's way too thin. I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and decided it wasn't anything really special except for the gay angle. He eventually ends up "dating" an older lawyer that all the cops hate. But even that couldn't hold my interest.

The young Welsh actor who plays the cop (I wrote about this when the show first appeared last fall), the gay one, was plucked out of drama school and this was his first acting gig. He's quite good looking and is shirtless quite a bit although he definitely needs to get in the gym. He's way too thin. I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes and decided it wasn't anything really special except for the gay angle. He eventually ends up "dating" an older lawyer that all the cops hate. But even that couldn't hold my interest.

I take your points on this MrM. I quite like UK police dramas and was a long term watcher of The Bill, so I am happy to watch new series. I have only seen the first episode and like it, gay angle or not. In fact I saw the trailers on the ABC and watched it without knowing there was a gay angle. Even The Bill, which finished 6 years ago had a number of gay plot lines so it's not unexpected that the BBC would include them in their programs.

I take your points on this MrM. I quite like UK police dramas and was a long term watcher of The Bill, so I am happy to watch new series. I have only seen the first episode and like it, gay angle or not. In fact I saw the trailers on the ABC and watched it without knowing there was a gay angle. Even The Bill, which finished 6 years ago had a number of gay plot lines so it's not unexpected that the BBC would include them in their programs.

I, took like the UK police procedurals (unlike the US ones which I mostly don't) but Vera, Waking the Dead, Shetland, etc. are far superior to Cuffs.

Archived