Masseurs that feel the need to cover your eyes, what's up with that?

KJJ
This topic is 3039 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So for the guys that do massage, what's the reason for needing to cover client's eyes during the massage? During my last massage he spent a lot of the time adjusting the towel over my eyes, and just my eyes. What is it they don't want us to see? If it is meant to make us feel more relaxed I think it does just the opposite. Second I feel like this is their way of not wanting to talk during the massage. Am I way off base here and should just go with it? The only upside was I was delightfully surprised at some of the techniques he used when I couldn't see what he was about to do.

I've not had that experience for sensual or erotic massages, but I've had it for therapeutic. I was told that the idea is to rest your eyes, which in a massage can become over-stimulated during the close proximity & touch. Covering your eyes can be quite refreshing and relaxing. I had a slightly scented towel. I did feel a difference...but not sure if it was bullshit. I didn't care cuz I honestly didn't want to look at this massive Russian lady - sweetheart, but I prefer men. ;) I could see how a professional who is going from therapeutic to sensual massage could use that eyes-closed technique to rest the eyes and also heighten senses.

That's the first I've ever heard of it... And I've had a lot of massages. But only therapeutic and relaxing (non-erotic), mind you. The physical therapists here in Belgium are generally very chatty and will talk your ears off, so they won't be covering your eyes. The ones that give non-therapeutic relaxing massages will only talk if I initiate it during the massage but even then if I want to relax my eyes I just close them... I would feel very, VERY uncomfortable if someone would cover my eyes like that.

My massages have been everything from therapeutic to somewhat erotic and no telling where it is headed until the first few minutes, no matter how they advertised. Hell if they are going to wrap a towel around my eyes and tuck it under my head let's just go to the next level and tie me up and lets have some bdsm fun with it. :rolleyes::D Oops, Sorry for digressing there. The covering of the eyes has only been a couple times but I just didn't see the purpose. @Truereview maybe the next time I need to go with it more in a relaxing sense and not over think it.

One masseur used a warm damp washcloth to cover my eyes. He didn't ask first. It was comfortable in some ways but not in others; the light pressure on my eyes and the resistance to my eyelashes was a bit distracting. The masseur was conversational, though he kept the discussion light and his voice was soothing.

Another masseur had a stack of what looked like washable sleeping masks without the strap. They were soft cotton, shaped around the bridge of the nose, with some sort of firm "cups" inside to keep contact off the eyes. Before the start of the massage he explained that he'd like to cover my eyes when I turned onto my back, for the same reasons Truereview mentioned. He also noted that his apartment's tacky textured ceiling and light fixture were a bit of a distraction. He had also attached a cover of sorts below his table's face cradle that blocked light but did not feel stuffy or inhibit breathing. This masseur put a lot of thought into the environment. The splashing sounds of some tabletop fountains can be very bright and harsh, but his was perfect. His massage/meditation music was also perfect.

I get lots of massages and I hate having my eyes covered.

It's part claustrophobia, part waking up mid-massage thinking I'm blind,

part fear of conjunctivitis from the 100 other people who used the mask.

I just politely say at the beginning of the massage that I don't like having my

eyes covered but I do like the room very dark. So far, it's never been a problem.

Archived