The Importance of Being Earnest

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3038 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had an audio cassette recording of this remarkably play, with Edith Evans as Lady Bracknell (whom I hope to emulate some day, and after whom I am assured Maggie Smith was inspired as the Dowager on Downton Abbey) and Sir John Gielgud as Jack / Ernest.

I still think it's the best performance out there, with Dame Judi Dench's performance coming up a close second.

Any idea where I might find this? I think I can accommodate virtually any medium, but cd or mp3 file is preferred.

There are audio books on Amazon. Here is a glimpse of the great Dame Edith Evans with Robert Redgrave and Joan Greenwood from the 1952 film of the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eymdx4xomM

This is a wonderful film, in part because it preserves Dame Edith's Lady Bracknell, but the rest of the cast are near perfection too. BTW, that is Sir Michael Redgrave in this scene. He is the father of Vanessa, Lynn and Corin Redgrave and the grandfather of Natasha and Joely Richardson.

TruHart1 :cool:

I had an audio cassette recording of this remarkably play, with Edith Evans as Lady Bracknell (whom I hope to emulate some day, and after whom I am assured Maggie Smith was inspired as the Dowager on Downton Abbey) and Sir John Gielgud as Jack / Ernest.

I still think it's the best performance out there, with Dame Judi Dench's performance coming up a close second.

Any idea where I might find this? I think I can accommodate virtually any medium, but cd or mp3 file is preferred.

Sir Gallahad, here is a BBC Radio version of The Importance of Being Earnest (audio) with Dame Edith as Lady Bracknell and Sir John Gielgud as John Worthing, might it be the recording about which you enquired?

This is a wonderful film, in part because it preserves Dame Edith's Lady Bracknell, but the rest of the cast are near perfection too. BTW, that is Sir Michael Redgrave in this scene. He is the father of Vanessa, Lynn and Corin Redgrave and the grandfather of Natasha and Joely Richardson.

TruHart 1, Thank you for the correction. Of course it is Sir Michael Redgrave, I can only blame my lapse in memory on my advanced age. As an interesting side note, the last Lady Bracknell I saw on stage was Lynn Redgrave in Peter Hall's production a few years before her death.

A while back, in another thread, I made a seemingly off the wall comment about "My object all sublime ".

Those are the lyrics to the song, which (presumably Gielgud) is playing on the piano at the beginning of the BBC radio broadcast that Truhart1 just provided us . . .

(I'm sure the esteemed Adam Smith understood).

TruHart 1, Thank you for the correction. Of course it is Sir Michael Redgrave, I can only blame my lapse in memory on my advanced age. As an interesting side note, the last Lady Bracknell I saw on stage was Lynn Redgrave in Peter Hall's production a few years before her death.

Hey, don't sweat it, b2b, if I didn't check the IMBd every time to verify, myself, my memory lapses would be much worse!!! :eek:

I feel that all the generations from Sir Michael down to Joely Richardson were quite excellent actors. Although Lynn was recognized (nominated for an Oscar) for "Georgy Girl," I never really appreciated her acting until she was so memorable (again, nominated for an Oscar!) in "Gods and Monsters!" I always loved the more glamorous Vanessa before that!

Several years ago when visiting a friend in Manhattan we attempted to get seats to see Wicked. We failed. Instead, we saw an off-off-off-off-off-off-Broadway production of The Importance of Being Earnest. Upon walking to the theater my friend said "Hey, if it sucks we can walk out and see a movie - it's only twenty bucks." Let me tell you, it was the most fun I had at the theater in YEARS. Lady Bracknell was played by an actor in drag and they incorporated 1980's pop music into the play when transitioning between scenes. I know it sounds horrible and sacrilegious, but it was FUN. Isn't that what a night out is all about?

Several years ago when visiting a friend in Manhattan we attempted to get seats to see Wicked. We failed. Instead, we saw an off-off-off-off-off-off-Broadway production of The Importance of Being Earnest. Upon walking to the theater my friend said "Hey, if it sucks we can walk out and see a movie - it's only twenty bucks." Let me tell you, it was the most fun I had at the theater in YEARS. Lady Bracknell was played by an actor in drag and they incorporated 1980's pop music into the play when transitioning between scenes. I know it sounds horrible and sacrilegious, but it was FUN. Isn't that what a night out is all about?

That sounds awesome!!

I love the 1952 film version of the play too. Dame Edith Evans was hilarious.

Archived