Sorry Cat Lovers, We Have Some Bad News

geminibear
This topic is 3054 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Had a dog when I was a kid that loved our cat, but would try to kill any other cat that came into the yard. I swear that cat knew it and would try to lure the neighborhood bullies into our backyard. :)

My current dog doesn't pay any attention to cats at all. It's like they don't even register for him. One came into the yard the other day, he just looked at me like, "Are you going to do something about that?" He couldn't be bothered to even get up.

Our friends' house is "the Peaceable Kingdom" where all cats and dogs get along. Over the 50 years we have been friends each new animal somehow knows that the cat/dog animosity thing is forbidden or unnecessary and quickly fits in. There have been close to a dozen come and go and the population stays pretty constant at two dogs and two or so cats. I attribute it to the woman of the house who has a beautiful, serene soul that is palpable. All of the animals are devoted to her.

I had a wonderful female black American Cocker Spaniel who loved ALL people and cats but was totally alpha around other dogs. My groomer, who had a Rottweiler and a cat, would keep my dog at her home when I traveled. Normally the Rottweiler bullied the cat except when my cocker was there. My dog wouldn’t even allow the Rottweiler in the same room yet she happily played with and slept with the cat.

I had a wonderful female black American Cocker Spaniel who loved ALL people and cats but was totally alpha around other dogs. My groomer, who had a Rottweiler and a cat, would keep my dog at her home when I traveled. Normally the Rottweiler bullied the cat except when my cocker was there. My dog wouldn’t even allow the Rottweiler in the same room yet she happily played with and slept with the cat.

"Furthermore, only 50% of the cats studied produced any oxytocin at all. However, Zak did add that he thinks the cats could have performed better if the tests had been conducted in their own homes, instead of a lab."

Cats would like every day to be the same: plenty of food and water, play toys, an owner there to order around and being used to their surroundings. So conducting all this in a lab might be a problem for a cat.

Archived