Question on gay companionship abroad, particularly the Caribbeans

JohnGerman
This topic is 2154 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Some years ago I saw a Charlotte Rampling movie (can't remember the name of the movie) about older European women went to Africa for vacations where they got young local African males for short term boyfriends. It seemed to be a rather established "trade" there and local men eagerly await such opportunities. Social-economic and moral issues notwithstanding, I have also heard there are places around the world similar practices are in place for gay tourists. I thought I even heard this kind of things happen in Dominican Republic or some other Caribbean regions. I wonder if any of you guys have any knowledge or experience on that? Please note we are talking about adult males of legal age, not children! PMs are also welcome.

Just be very careful regarding the commonwealth islands like Jamaica and Barbados. They tend to be virulently anti gay though there are some recent imorovements. Don't know why exactly they so are since the UK is very gay-friendly.

My understanding is that it has much to do with the British anti-sodomy laws that were left in place even after independence. Many former British colonies suffered from virulent homophobia, due in large part, activists say, to the legacy of those laws which are still on the books. For some reason, those particular laws really resonated in the former colonies and have taken on new meaning long after the formal end of colonialism. The phenomenon is not so different from the "one drop rule" of racial classification that the U.S. also inherited.

More to the OP's question, I think Brazil offers a lot of what he's looking for.

My understanding is that it has much to do with the British anti-sodomy laws that were left in place even after independence. Many former British colonies suffered from virulent homophobia, due in large part, activists say, to the legacy of those laws which are still on the books. For some reason, those particular laws really resonated in the former colonies and have taken on new meaning long after the formal end of colonialism. The phenomenon is not so different from the "one drop rule" of racial classification that the U.S. also inherited.

More to the OP's question, I think Brazil offers a lot of what he's looking for.

What I recall reading was that the one-drop rule was post reconstruction and the 1/8th law was pre-civil war. I just checked wikipedia which mentions the 1 drop rule being adopted in the south at the turn of the 20th century and a 1/4 rule was pre-civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

What I recall reading was that the one-drop rule was post reconstruction and the 1/8th law was pre-civil war. I just checked wikipedia which mentions the 1 drop rule being adopted in the south at the turn of the 20th century and a 1/4 rule was pre-civil war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

You may be right about when the U.S. (Or certain regions herein) formally adopted the one drop rule, but it originated in British rule. Many countries that used to be British colonies in the Americas have also followed this rule of racial classification, even using the same name. That's no coincidence. Ironically, Brazil, where I referred the OP, also has its issues with racial classification, but never adopted such a rule, and so many Brazilians who would be classified as "black" under the American-British view, are not necessarily viewed as such there. Brazil's history as a Portuguese colony likely plays a role there. Such different history likely allows for homophobia and sexual identity politics to play out very differently in Brazil.

So, again, to the OP, notwithstanding this side discussion, I think Brazil (one of my favorite places) might be just what you're looking for.

You may be right about when the U.S. (Or certain regions herein) formally adopted the one drop rule, but it originated in British rule. Many countries that used to be British colonies in the Americas have also followed this rule of racial classification, even using the same name. That's no coincidence. Ironically, Brazil, where I referred the OP, also has its issues with racial classification, but never adopted such a rule, and so many Brazilians who would be classified as "black" under the American-British view, are not necessarily viewed as such there. Brazil's history as a Portuguese colony likely plays a role there. Such different history likely allows for homophobia and sexual identity politics to play out very differently in Brazil.

So, again, to the OP, notwithstanding this side discussion, I think Brazil (one of my favorite places) might be just what you're looking for.

I’m with Strafe13 about Brasil. Read all that’s here (although somewhat dated) and join (for free) www.boytoy.com. There is a load of information provided there, and it’s very current. I’m at both sites reading and writing and using what information that I can to enhance my trip. Would you be interested in the Dominican Republic. Other guys have had stellar times there; I had a so so one because I injured myself when I was there in 2005. I hope to return and have one hell of a hot time with the men as well as enjoying whatever cultural attributes prevail. Again, read what’s here as well as what is on the site to which I alluded in the above.

• 2 years later...

The closest I've come to the Caribbean is Key West, and that's close enough. I shudder at the thought of companionship in the Dom. Republic. Look up the sad fate of character actor George Rose who was brutally murdered in the 1980's.

The closest I've come to the Caribbean is Key West, and that's close enough. I shudder at the thought of companionship in the Dom. Republic. Look up the sad fate of character actor George Rose who was brutally murdered in the 1980's.

Cuba. Internet situation is very bad there. But there are places in Havana where you can go and pick up guys you like from a pretty big live crowd of men who wants your friendship for some not serious money. Then you and the guy you picked go to your hotel.

What you can also do in Brazil is to find a guide that will not show you the cities that you might be going to but also make sure you are safe. I did that a couple of times I went and he took me all over Rio and Sao Paolo but also accompanied me to the saunas. He would translate when that was necessary. He did not engage in any extracurricular activities and I did not expect him to.

Some years ago I saw a Charlotte Rampling movie (can't remember the name of the movie) about older European women went to Africa for vacations where they got young local African males for short term boyfriends. It seemed to be a rather established "trade" there and local men eagerly await such opportunities. Social-economic and moral issues notwithstanding, I have also heard there are places around the world similar practices are in place for gay tourists. I thought I even heard this kind of things happen in Dominican Republic or some other Caribbean regions. I wonder if any of you guys have any knowledge or experience on that? Please note we are talking about adult males of legal age, not children! PMs are also welcome.

santo domingo in dr, bahia/rio/sao paolo in brazil, most major colombian cities. I second what othera have said about anglo caribbean countries. its not impossible but u gotta kno wut ur doin. Thank me later.

Cuba. Internet situation is very bad there. But there are places in Havana where you can go and pick up guys you like from a pretty big live crowd of men who wants your friendship for some not serious money. Then you and the guy you picked go to your hotel.

Very little crime in Cuba, probably safer than the USA