The Revenant

N13
This topic is 3047 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw one of the most beautifully photographed movies I have ever seen today. I will be surprised if it does not win every cinematography award in the universe. The movie itself was a surprise to me because I was not really expecting much. On a scale of 10, I found it a 9 for me. Since I hated "Birdman" (turned it off after 20 minutes) I expected nothing from the director.

The cinematography is what drove the movie for me. The story is somewhat interesting and the acting was good even though it was difficult to understand some of the dialogue. I don't see it as academy award time for DiCaprio because it was purely physical acting that in some instances did not make sense as being possible for any human being to accomplish within the time frame presented in the movie. Subtlety is, for me, a huge necessity for a great performance and there is no room for it here.

The bear mauling segment was riveting and impossible not to watch even though I didn't want to see it. The film is not for the faint of heart.

Saw one of the most beautifully photographed movies I have ever seen today. I will be surprised if it does not win every cinematography award in the universe. The movie itself was a surprise to me because I was not really expecting much. On a scale of 10, I found it a 9 for me. Since I hated "Birdman" (turned it off after 20 minutes) I expected nothing from the director.

The cinematography is what drove the movie for me. The story is somewhat interesting and the acting was good even though it was difficult to understand some of the dialogue. I don't see it as academy award time for DiCaprio because it was purely physical acting that in some instances did not make sense as being possible for any human being to accomplish within the time frame presented in the movie. Subtlety is, for me, a huge necessity for a great performance and there is no room for it here.

The bear mauling segment was riveting and impossible not to watch even though I didn't want to see it. The film is not for the faint of heart.

Pretty much agree although I thought the bear looked very "CGI." Didn't seem realistic to me. I'd bet ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY that diCaprio wins the Oscar this year. No contest. I don't agree with it but there you have it.

Oh, and I loved BIRDMAN.

Pretty much agree although I thought the bear looked very "CGI." Didn't seem realistic to me. I'd bet ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY that diCaprio wins the Oscar this year. No contest. I don't agree with it but there you have it.

Oh, and I loved BIRDMAN.

I have not seen the film yet. My brother has worked for the National Park Service for many years and has been the park liasion to many directors and film companies, including the first "Star Wars" film. I have asked him the same question. There are "acting" bear, as you know, who can fool most people. Will let you know, MrMiniver, when I see the film.

Thanks for your comments.

The bear was def cgi, but it was a awesomely disturbing scene, so I didn't care. Really enjoyed the movie. It was brutal.

And another case where the filmmakers changed reality and made it ridiculous. In the real story, his two friends are with him and all 3 of them fight off the bear which is far more realistic than having Leo kill the bear himself.

have you seen Brooklyn yet? I thought Brooklyn's cinematography was spectacular. I haven't see no. film so beautifully shot since atonement. plus it was a great movie.

Loved Brooklyn. My only quibble was the last 1/4 of the movie. Would a girl like that really take a trip back to Ireland -- and leave her loving too perfect husband back home -- and immediately start an affair? That rang a little false for me.

Archived