Message Board Not Responding to Clicks? Java Problem?

nynakedtop
This topic is 3065 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys...

A short descent into cyber-world here ... I have been away from the board for about a month (not of my own choosing, hehe) and since my return this weekend I have been having an extreme problem with accessing the site. The site opens, after much delay, but when I click on any links, it goes into the Mac version of hell - the small spinning wheel that indicates that not much is going to happen.

Trying to figure out if it is something in my own system here (a very new MacBook), if you have changed something in the programming language within the past few weeks, or something else. (I have no problem accessing any other site...)

Thanks for looking into this!

Try a System Reset -

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys while turning your Mac on. You have to have the buttons down before it starts to boot up.

3. Listen for the startup chime and keep holding the buttons down until you hear the third chime, release the buttons.

This should clear just about anything up.

I've seen more of the swirling beach ball after having upgraded to "El Capitain" (10.11.x) than I saw running "Yosemite"

(10.10.x) I'm running the Firefox browser when I read the message forum.

I tend to have enough other stuff to do, and am curious, that I let it swirl; it's always recovered on its on without

having to restart.

That being said, the browser has crashed a couple of times, but that also happened in previous versions

of the OS.

Thanks for your help!

When I realized that the problems were happening on all the devices I use to access the Board (MacBook, iPhone, Kindle Fire) and that the remedy offered did not really address my situation, I looked elsewhere in my techno-setup for sources of the problem.

Well, much to my chagrin, it seems that the problem lies squarely with my ISP - just by coincidence i changes providers today and, pooof, away went the problem.

So: he's baaaack!!

One thing that might have been helpful (and perhaps less drastic) is just rebooting your provider's router. It solves more doggone connection problems than you can shake a stick at.

I cannot remember a time in 7 years that I needed to reboot the TimeWarnerCable Modem.

I have noted the Winders machines have more frequent problems than the Macs.

Resetting the System Manager in a Mac isn't a drastic step. It's basically a re-re-start.

And yet I need two hands to count the times it has been helpful with Time-Warner cable modems. (There is a reason the first suggestion from TW support is "reboot the modem".)

Our dear departed Jackhammer called me over to his place to help with system slowness. It felt to me that his system was not slow itself. It seemed to be the other end of the wire. We rebooted his modem and problem solved.

They do get into schisms.

Archived