Cutting The Cord - Cable TV That Is

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1161 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have basic cable for free and don't watch it. Hulu has been my mainstay; I have been tempted by Netflix but not enough to try them out.

I would be interested in hearing from the august members of this forum how they have have cut the Cable TV cord.

My provider (Comcast) won't allow customers to take advantage of newer cheaper rates if they "downgrade". So basically they make it next to impossible to save money by reducing services.

I'm tempted to cut out all TV and just go with high speed Internet.

How do you access "broadcast" TV via Internet? I don't feel like climbing on the roof to install antenna.

Happy New Year! Let's make 2016 the year of cord cutting!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have basic cable for free and don't watch it. Hulu has been my mainstay; I have been tempted by Netflix but not enough to try them out.

For some things, Netflix is great. I have found some overseas shows that I would not have found otherwise--Murder in Paradise (BBC), Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (ABC Australia). Netflix is more of an eclectic offering than Hulu....however Hulu is more current with broadcast network shows. The one thing I will have to use Netflix for this year is Agent Carter Season 2--it has been switched from Hulu to Netflix, and season 1 was yanked off of Hulu.

Last year I cancelled cable and switched entirely to Apple TV. Absolutely love it. You can get Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services in addition to the shows available for purchase from iTunes. Regarding CNN, MSNBC, et al - you might be able to watch them using their websites. I'm an NPR guy, so the lack of the cable "news" stations doesn't bother me in the least.

You can watch them stream online, but the catch is that you have to register with your cable provider. They will not accept your high speed internet provider. I search around on the internet to find websites that stream CNN & BBC on their own....I use http://www.zahitvstation.com/watch-cnn-international-live to get CNN International & http://streema.com/tv/play/BBC_World_News for BBC World News

I don't watch US-based news networks because they are all cold balls of dog shit.....

Edited by Kuriousity

After a head spinning afternoon (OLED? I just learned about the existence of 4K for God's sake). It came down to the Vizio vs Samsung. A high end Vizio with a 240 refresh rate is about $800 to $1,200 less than the comparable Samsung. I need to read up a bit more, but Cnet raves about the Vizio M series, so I'm pretty much leaning that way.

Do you plan to stream video onto said tv? If so, be sure to check which apps come with which model. Samsung has most if not all available platforms, which I don't believe is the case with any other make.

Kevin Slater

Do you plan to stream video onto said tv?

I do, for at least Netflix, Amazon Prime, plus any premium "on demand" movie channels available. I am comparing Apps currently available on each, the future upgrades that may be available, and the Roku 4K. While I'd love to spring for a 60 inch OLED 4K, my wallet's leaning toward a regular 4K at this point. I think I miss the days when 19' vs 25' cabinet choices were the only concern.

After a head spinning afternoon (OLED? I just learned about the existence of 4K for God's sake). It came down to the Vizio vs Samsung. A high end Vizio with a 240 refresh rate is about $800 to $1,200 less than the comparable Samsung. I need to read up a bit more, but Cnet raves about the Vizio M series, so I'm pretty much leaning that way.

You can't go wrong with the M series from Vizio. Ultra 4K is just amazing when you play a blu ray and it upscales regular DVD stuff as well. I wish I had bought the large one last year when I upgraded my screening room TV but I had no idea it could be that good. Go for it!

I'd cut the cord if not for Turner Classic Movies and MSNBC.

These days, 95% of what's on Turner Classic Movies is available for free on the internet, youtube, torrent sites. etc. As for MSNBC (or Fox or CNN), I'd rather have sex with an ugly woman that spending two seconds watching that kind of drivel. That's what I have the WSJ and the NYTimes for.

Thanks to all the forum members for their input.

Here is the latest update on my cord cutting activity:

1. Decided to try new "digital antenna".

2. Used the following website to determine distance to transmitters. http://www.antennapoint.com.
  3. It is about 37 miles.

4. The digital antenna should arrive today from Amazon. AmazonBasics Ultra Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna, 50 Mile Range (Latest Version).
  5. Will test reception out to see if worth keeping antenna or not.

1. Successfully downloaded and installed Kodi on an existing Fire TV Stick.
  2. Rather involved process, but it worked.
  3. Successfully downloaded and installed FireStarter so I could access "side loaded" applications.

4. Added Genesis and AddOn Installer.
  5. Continuing to do research on other AddOns.

NYClocker, you tag line is spot on! I still have the ability to surprise myself!!!

Updates to follow on progress... The scissors are out...

Hey, is this like a "cable circumcision"?

The digital antenna is AWESOME! Pulls in local channels with great clarity. It is about the size of a place mat. I mounted on wall behind a painting that hangs above the TV.

So I now have access to local broadcast channels WITHOUT cable.

Now for more exploring on Kodi and the AddOns....

I did. Did my research and its helps that the store just dropped the price by $300 yesterday. If you don't mind, may I message you when it arrives for pointers, etc. regarding the calibration and other miscellaneous setup "stuff"?

Absolutely. Please do. Although be aware, color is a really individual choice! But I've been playing with the settings for around 10 days so I hope I have some good pointers!

Enjoy!

"That's what I have the WSJ and the NYTimes for."

Yes, thank goodness Rupert Murdoch came along to save the WSJ and give it a rightward tilt. Damn librul media!

Spoken like someone who has never read the WSJ. Great, straight down the line reporting (just like the Times), better cultural and sports coverage now that Murdoch owns the papers. The editorial page is slightly right of center -- just as it's been for the 40 years I've been reading it. That had nothing to do with Murdoch. Heck, but just keep to your pre-conceived notions.

Spoken like someone who has never read the WSJ. Great, straight down the line reporting (just like the Times), better cultural and sports coverage now that Murdoch owns the papers. The editorial page is slightly right of center -- just as it's been for the 40 years I've been reading it. That had nothing to do with Murdoch. Heck, but just keep to your pre-conceived notions.

The editorial page is slightly right of center only if you think the center is over on the right (which is a Miniverian thing to do). As for straight-down-the-middle reporting in Rupertville: Hahahahahaha!

The Cable Mohel arrived today!

My Cable bill will go from $175 per month down to $85 per month. Turned in my remaining two boxes and only have Internet. I use VOIP for home phone. Dropped the cable VOIP several months ago to get rid of their modem.

I just noticed that Amazon is now pairing a Digital Antenna with the FireTV and offering a discount when purchased together.

I continue to experiment with Kodi and adding the AddOns to access the Torrents that are out there.

To be continued!

The Cable Mohel arrived today!

My Cable bill will go from $175 per month down to $85 per month. Turned in my remaining two boxes and only have Internet. I use VOIP for home phone. Dropped the cable VOIP several months ago to get rid of their modem.

I just noticed that Amazon is now pairing a Digital Antenna with the FireTV and offering a discount when purchased together.

I continue to experiment with Kodi and adding the AddOns to access the Torrents that are out there.

To be continued!

Also make sure that you're not renting the internet modem from your cable company because they're probably charging you $10+/month for that. You can buy one for ~$100 (+/- depending on the model) and you'll break even after less than a year. Congrats on saving so much money!