The Revenant

MrMiniver
This topic is 3053 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wading through the Oscar screeners and watched the latest from Inarritu who won Oscars for Best Director and Best Picture for last year's Birdman (which I loved). It's visually stunning if a little over long (could have used some editing) and very powerful and bleak. I'm not sure I bought the bear mauling and how that went down (which deviated from the true story and not in a good way) or how easily the main character seems to recover from these wounds later in the film to go on his revenge fantasy. But it worked in the context of the film I suppose.

I'll admit I've never been a fan of Leonard DiCaprio. I just don't get him. Titanic made me puke. And even at 40 plus he seems 17 to me. I do think he's very good here but and, sadly, will probably win an Oscar for a role in which he speaks for maybe 5 minutes. He mostly grunts and makes other noises for 2.5 hours. I don't really get what's Oscar-worthy about it. Tom Hardy is practically unrecognizable and it was his performance that I found most memorable.

Recommended.

I think your review was very kind....I HATED IT :) and left after an hour and 15 min. Yes it was beautiful to look at for about 5 minutes. I know the story is based on true events, but how anyone could survive the bear attack is ridiculous based on what they showed on the screen. It was sooooo slow and all that grunting. Except for Leo fans, I don't know why anyone would want to sit through this movie. Glad I walked out, but still it's an hour and 15 min of my time I'll never get back!!! :)

I think your review was very kind....I HATED IT :) and left after an hour and 15 min. Yes it was beautiful to look at for about 5 minutes. I know the story is based on true events, but how anyone could survive the bear attack is ridiculous based on what they showed on the screen. It was sooooo slow and all that grunting. Except for Leo fans, I don't know why anyone would want to sit through this movie. Glad I walked out, but still it's an hour and 15 min of my time I'll never get back!!! :)

Different strokes, methinks. I liked the film very much. It is stunning to look at and I find the story very interesting. I read the book upon which it is based so I had more information that isn't shown in the film. I agree, as presented, there is no way he survives that bear attack or that ridiculous jump off the cliff in to the trees. However, in the real story he is not alone during the bear attack, there are two others with him and they all 3 fight off the bear. I guess they wanted it more dramatic in the film but it does make it a tad bit unbelievable. But I was okay with that.

I will admit the worse part was listening to Leo grunt for 2.5 hours. But I can't imagine walking out of a film of such beauty and mastery. The only film I've ever walked out on was The Cook her wife, the lover -- or whatever it was called -- right after the defacating scene. That was a step too far for me :)

I totally agree. It was almost torture to sit thru the entire movie. I recommend that people don't waste their money on this one.

I'm curious if you found this film "torture" what kind of movies do you like? It might give people a sense of perspective on your recommendations.

I'm curious if you found this film "torture" what kind of movies do you like? It might give people a sense of perspective on your recommendations.

This holiday season I've seen Joy, The Revenant, The Big Short, and Spotlight. The Revenant is the only one I didn't like.

This holiday season I've seen Joy, The Revenant, The Big Short, and Spotlight. The Revenant is the only one I didn't like.

Can you explain what you didn't like about it, in specifics.

I liked JOY and the BIG SHORT. Spotlight, while good, doesn't deserve the acclaim it has received. It's not very cinematic, all talk, and a pale imitation of All the President's Men. I'd never watch it again. REVENANT is a great piece of cinema and I'd watch it for the visuals again any day (that is why cinema was invented, visuals).

While the others may not be as cinematic, that's just a part of what cinema is about.....it's about storytelling, acting, direction, editing, etc.....you know, all those things they give Oscars for. Also it's not doing great at the boxoffice...didn't even make the Top 10....guess audiences don't like it either. While no film can compete with Star Wars at the box office, even in limited release the film is tanking. At least with films like Joy or Spotlight, they tell stories in a clever, interesting and compelling way....they don't take place in the great outdoors for any camera to capture. What about some of the new beautiful art films like Carol, The Danish Girl or Brooklyn this year.....beautifully photographed little gems.

While the others may not be as cinematic, that's just a part of what cinema is about.....it's about storytelling, acting, direction, editing, etc.....you know, all those things they give Oscars for. Also it's not doing great at the boxoffice...didn't even make the Top 10....guess audiences don't like it either. While no film can compete with Star Wars at the box office, even in limited release the film is tanking. At least with films like Joy or Spotlight, they tell stories in a clever, interesting and compelling way....they don't take place in the great outdoors for any camera to capture. What about some of the new beautiful art films like Carol, The Danish Girl or Brooklyn this year.....beautifully photographed little gems.

I loved Carol, Danish Girl, and Brooklyn. All photographed beautifully and told great stories. SPOTLIGHT just really bored me a bit. Like watching grass grow.

Okay, but then I think I'll feel free to dismiss your opinion since it's at about the 4 year old level. Just saying "i no likey" is not really an opinion. It's just a tantrum.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you ignore all my posts. Dealing with you and your need for details of my opinion is frankly not worth my time. And, no, that's not a tantrum. It's mature adult recognizing when a conversation is useless.

Danish Girl is terrific. A different look at the transgender issue in 1920's Europe. Eddie Redmayne does it again in the acting dept as does the rest of the cast.

Agree completely. It's been a controversial film and performance. You either hate it or love it. I happened to have liked it very much, even with it's deviations from the real story.

Archived