Affluenza immigrants are flooding Mexico illegally!

dutchmuch
This topic is 3075 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As someone has mentioned, we don't know the settlement amounts. I think the truck Ethan was driving was owned by his father's company so it was named in the lawsuits. From my business experience, liability insurance limits for most companies are at least $10 million (in addition to auto liability coverage) and if the father was named there could be personal liability insurance for him of $2 million or more. So I suspect the settlements didn't cost Ethan's family much if anything at all. I've been told by liability lawyers that settlements for people who live but with medical issues are higher than those than don't survive. The family would have had to pay Ethan's criminal case related cost themselves.

now your speaking my language. this is my field of work. death claims cost almost nothing compared to survivors with medical needs unless the deceased was a minor....if I were to guess the death claims probably cost the insurance company 250-500k each depending on the number of dependants. the victims that have medical needs would have had life plans done to calculate the future costs. it is very doubtful the family paid for anything. they most likely had umbrella policies on top of commercial and auto policies to protect them. the fact the cases resolved so quickly makes me think the carrier just wanted to pay out and get off the risk. personal injury cases don't really pay a lot in the big scheme of things if you are seriously injured. sure you can get a fast buck for a minor injury but big dollar class really don't happen all that often. the McDonald's coffee type case is really an exception to how much people really get. one final thing to note is Texas is the best state for an insurance company to defend a claim. the courts are resistant to giving any money to any plaintiff (there are exceptions) but anytime we have a case in Texas it is significantly less than in other states. New York is the opposite. best state to get compensation if you are injured

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
now your speaking my language. this is my field of work. death claims cost almost nothing compared to survivors with medical needs unless the deceased was a minor....if I were to guess the death claims probably cost the insurance company 250-500k each depending on the number of dependants. the victims that have medical needs would have had life plans done to calculate the future costs. it is very doubtful the family paid for anything. they most likely had umbrella policies on top of commercial and auto policies to protect them. the fact the cases resolved so quickly makes me think the carrier just wanted to pay out and get off the risk. personal injury cases don't really pay a lot in the big scheme of things if you are seriously injured. sure you can get a fast buck for a minor injury but big dollar class really don't happen all that often. the McDonald's coffee type case is really an exception to how much people really get. one final thing to note is Texas is the best state for an insurance company to defend a claim. the courts are resistant to giving any money to any plaintiff (there are exceptions) but anytime we have a case in Texas it is significantly less than in other states. New York is the opposite. best state to get compensation if you are injured

Very interesting jeepo1, thanks. Some might say I have too much insurance but I keep my policies a reasonable amount over my net worth. I have some additional exposure with rental properties and I know policy limits often include legal fees so one has to keep in mind they need to be covered in addition to a potential settlement.

Very interesting jeepo1, thanks. Some might say I have too much insurance but I keep my policies a reasonable amount over my net worth. I have some additional exposure with rental properties and I know policy limits often include legal fees so one has to keep in mind they need to be covered in addition to a potential settlement.

You probably don't have too much especially if you have exposure on rental properties. You are correct the limits include fees and injury cases can be expensive to defend. You may be aware of this already but in case you are not, you should make sure that any contractor that comes to work on your properties has included a hold harmless for you to be excluded if anybody (employee, contractor, sub) are hurt or injured on your property. You should also have a subrogation clause to ensure that none of the workers, contractors or subcontractors can subrogate against you via their insurance policy if there is an accident, and you should ensure that the contractor has current workers compensation and liability insurance with an A- or above rated carrier. In most states if the carrier goes bankrupt the state takes over the case and they can legally shift the burden in most cases over to your insurance policy. With the hold harmless make sure it clearly states they are holding you harmless and not the other way around. (what if you get hurt because of something they do, you want to be covered under their policy). I cant tell you the number of times we have reviewed the hold harmless after an accident and the policy holder thought they were protected but the hold harmless protected the contractor and allowed them to pursue the home owner or commercial property.

My mom never pays my strip club bills. Gonna have to talk to her about that. (This is the story that will keep on giving)

While hiding in Mexico, the mother of Texas "affluenza" teen Ethan Couch, was woken up in the middle of the night to pay the bar tab her son had racked up at a strip club, a hotel employee said.

Marina Meza, a 21-year employee at the Los Tules resort in Puerto Vallarta, told the Dallas Morning News that something seemed odd about the mother-son duo when they checked in. They didn't complete the registration paperwork, which required showing ID, and paid their nightly fees in cash.

http://www.chron.com/crime/article/Affluenza-teen-racked-up-a-strip-club-bar-tab-6730045.php

Archived