Its A Small World Afterall

TotallyOz
This topic is 7272 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It often amazes me at what a truly small world we live in. Over the years I have had many experiences of running into people in places I would not have imagined. Today was one of those days that boggle my mind.

Upon the recommendation of Hooboy on one of his trips to Bangkok, I tried out the Roxy Restaurant. I have eaten there many times since he recommended it and always enjoy my food and the atmosphere. Tonight while I was sitting at the Roxy I heard a voice say my name. I looked up and it was a guy I had met in NYC many years ago. Of all the places, me meeting him at the Roxy was weird as the first time I met him in NYC was at a dance club named Roxy. He was from Thailand and going to medical school in NYC. We hooked up and had he been interested in more than a hookup, I would have broken up with my monogamous boyfriend and given life with him a try. :) :) Well, we ended up hooking up a few times in NYC and it was weird that he was back in Thailand and found me eating at the Roxy.

I then went to X-Treme gogo bar. As I have mentioned in many posts, it is now my favorite bar in Bangkok for many reasons. I was gazing at the eye candy before me when a fellow next to me asked me what the protocol was with the boys here. He and his lover were in town for the AIDS conference and wanted to see what a gogo bar was like and they had no idea what to do to get a boy to sit with them and have a drink. I explained the way things worked to them and we chatted for a bit. They were from the same city I got my undergraduate degree in and they both knew my college and we came up with a mutual friend that we all knew. The man who first approached me when to the restroom and I leaned over to chat with his lover. I asked him where he was from originally as I recognized a southern accent. He told me and I was floored. He and I are from the same home town and went to the same middle school.

As my friend Tampa Yankee and my idol Dolly Parton would say: I am just from a “little bitty pissant country place.” And, that ain’t just whistling Dixie. My hometown is tiny and most people from the state do not even know the name of it. To run into someone from my hometown was simply amazing.

My evening was fantastic and the Small World we live in got a bit more enjoyable for me tonight.

That being said, my gogo boy from X-Treme bar just left and I have breakfast planned with my doctor friend from NYC. I would love to be able to say, “I wish I were in the land of cotton,” but I am quite content here in the Land of Smiles! :)

Archived