Here’s A Way to Voice Your Outrage Over the Shutdown of the Rentboy Website

quoththeraven
This topic is 2880 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

While still far from the published goal, I noticed that the legal defense fund passed the $50,000 mark a few days ago, which is, of course, in addition to the > $10,000 raised from this site. I am hesitant to be optimistic about this ill-conceived prosecution, but the ongoing fundraising gives me some hope that the fight is still being waged behind the scenes. http://www.rentboyfund.org

While still far from the published goal, I noticed that the legal defense fund passed the $50,000 mark a few days ago, which is, of course, in addition to the > $10,000 raised from this site. I am hesitant to be optimistic about this ill-conceived prosecution, but the ongoing fundraising gives me some hope that the fight is still being waged behind the scenes. http://www.rentboyfund.org

Note that the last two big donations ($10,000 and $2500) came into Jeffrey's subfund, which suggests to me that Jeffrey himself solicited it, or somebody close to Jeffrey just chose to give to help keep his defense alive.

I'm still giving $100 a month. It's a drop in the bucket, but it all adds up both financially and psychologically.

I'm hoping (and this is complete speculation) that the strategy is to just let this grind on in hopes that the government will eventually drop the case. The convenient time to do that is when the political leadership of DOJ changes in the transition to a new Administration. I don't believe that this is likely to turn into a "battle of the century" over legalizing prostitution, and that the argument for legal prostitution will win. But even if you DO believe that, having a liberal replace Scalia on the court can only help. I would settle for having Jeffrey simply get off without going to jail, and that might be a winnable goal - again, that's only speculation. Speaking only for myself, it is certainly a goal worth putting my money where my mouth is, in frequent spurts. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Can this be removed, enough already for heavens sake, it's closed, get over it

Of course, when I notice a thread in one of the forums which does not interest me in the least, I somehow, some way find the strength to avoid clicking on it and getting my knickers in a knot.

But...that's just me. :)

Archived