Shaming 'johns' using license plates

WmClarke
This topic is 3109 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw the phrase "automated license plate readers" and instantly thought about all the mistaken letters that would be sent out.

The technology works most of the time with standard plates ( in terms of generating an actual string of characters & numbers. The accuracy of that string is still questionable ) but if you have a specialized design like I have on my truck then I wouldn't be holding my breathe.

The toll gantries here in Texas for a long while used standard cameras and flash to capture the plates if your TxTag couldn't be read. Now they're switching to infrared cameras that seem to capture a clearer image on license plates.

You also have the problem of someone borrowing your car, etc.

Reading through the comments on the news article I saw this:

Anyone know if this is true?

I saw the phrase "automated license plate readers" and instantly thought about all the mistaken letters that would be sent out.

The technology works most of the time with standard plates ( in terms of generating an actual string of characters & numbers. The accuracy of that string is still questionable ) but if you have a specialized design like I have on my truck then I wouldn't be holding my breathe.

The toll gantries here in Texas for a long while used standard cameras and flash to capture the plates if your TxTag couldn't be read. Now they're switching to infrared cameras that seem to capture a clearer image on license plates.

You also have the problem of someone borrowing your car, etc.

Reading through the comments on the news article I saw this:

Anyone know if this is true?

If they are using the Federal NCIC system to run these plates, which seems likely, they are in violation of the terms to access the system and can have their ability to access it revoked. That would mean they could not access the federal system for any law enforcement checks. Including firearms checks, criminal histories, stolen property entries, etc.

Nope, that's not true. Officers have the option to run any plate they wish. You need no reasonable suspicion or probable cause to run anyone's plate or any person for that matter. An individual department could set up a policy which could restrict running anything without P.C. or R.S. but I don't know of a single one. Now is there a fine line in running the plate and sending out a letter to the registered owner that their vehicle was seen in a known prostitution area??...that would probably be for a court to decide but as long as the plate is run in an official capacity, there is no violation of the terms. The only thing an officer can't do is run a plate or a person through LEIN (Law Enforcement Information Network) for their own personal information...i.e. running anyone, anything or a plate which isn't related to any type of official law enforcement inquiry. Each state has their own state LEIN (basically a state NCIC system) which automatically connects to the federal NCIC. If an officer or department is found violating the LEIN policy then that departments LEIN access could be revoked and hence, their ability to access the NCIC wouldn't be available. The individual officer found violating the policy, can also be charged with a criminal offense (in my state, it's a misdemeanor). I only know of only one case in my state where a department had their LEIN access revoked (in that case it was a small department and everyone in it was using LEIN for their own personal information)...but it is very, very, very rare as LEIN/NCIC is a valuable tool. What usually happens is the individual officer found violating the policy is terminated...and every query that is run has that officer's name or unit number attached to it.

I find myself lying awake at night worrying about spouses cheating on each other too. Sure glad we don't have any other problems to worry about anymore.

I'm sure several families in San Bernardino, a mere 60 miles east, would rather deal with cheating spouses than burying their loved ones.

Talk about a waste of public resources.

Archived