Karen Carpenter's 2nd Lost Solo Album

JDXXX
This topic is 3058 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

2Sodt2MMiT888QpNXFTX60YfrO4yODOskgpUfWg2CusGpYSYxmXHulHT_1hjk6l6mzz043flqECYLnvvEpY2yzK7jQA=w426-h240-n

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/Nowhereman06/KarenSoloPosterfromJeff.jpg~original

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/newvillefan/10377443_1569951663240298_1867252864945214356_n_zpsfb1bee03.jpg

e65fde0d1859a865969869ece85ab079.jpg

Hi Everyone,

As those of you who are Karen Carpenter fans(of no other then "The Carpenters) know about the Unreleased solo Album that was made back in 1979 with Award Winning Producer Phil Ramone. The album was finally released in stores 16 years later in 1996 from the A&M vaults with the special permission of Richard Carpenter and A&M Executives at A&M Records to be sold in stores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Carpenter_(album)

I've been a Carpenters/Karen Carpenter fan since a teenager, and just adore this fascinating, and extraordinary lady with a voice that most listeners (who have an appreciation for music)would consider - the voice of an angel....Angelic.

Her music will continue to live on forever even though of the unfortunate circumstances of her untimely death back in February of 1983 due to complications from Anorexia nervosa. Such a sad, and unfair tragedy to happen to such a fabulous person such as Karen was, but with the memories of her performances and videos she will live on, and never be missed. She may not be here physically, but she is still here on this earth in spirit.

A friend of mine(who I haven't seen since college, and who knew of The Carpenters) just brought to my attention there was supposedly more songs that were NOT put on the 1st "Karen Carpenter" solo album that was released back in 1996.

Was later told though various sources in the music industry, that the other 9 songs that were held from the original 1st release was align for a second Karen Carpenter album set to be released(if the 1st album was a success, and released, and not shelved) for a fall 1980 arrival, but was never released due to the disappointment of the 1st release being shelved. Now the other 9 unreleased tracks are not going to be set for a later release anytime soon due it being "leaked" out on various media sources.

The original plan(before A&M Management, and Karen decided to shelved the album to the public due to various reasons which will be later explained in the post)is that the 1st Karen Carpenter album was set to be released back in May of 1980, and then the second album(with the remaining songs that were NOT put into the first release) was scheduled to be continued in the fall of 1980 or in Early 1981.

Below are photos that were going to be used in the 2nd Karen Carpenter Solo Album, and further below are the songs that were going to be released on the 2nd album.

Further along in this post will be a video that'll further explain how the solo album came about, and why it was never became a reality being released. If you scroll on the video to 7:41 on the timer - you'll find out the horrifying truth to the album being shelved like it did.

THIS WAS SUPPOSEDLY GOING TO BE THE COVER ART FOR THE 2ND KAREN CARPENTER ALBUM (SET TO BE RELEASED IN FALL OF 1980 OR 1981) ALBUM ENTITLED: KC

http://cdn.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/137/064/615/karen-carpenter-the-unreleased-solo-recordings-cd-3835.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_veuak8Cilmw/RjQvpi6a3fI/AAAAAAAAA3Q/E8xiKaWjR8M/s400/1KarenCarpenter.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l4Jj_tDIjFY/T8HEmueUDFI/AAAAAAAAAJU/rFecI2sTd68/s1600/1991.pencil.%2526.watercolor+Karen+Carpenter.jpg

photo.jpg

ENJOY THE SUPPOSEDLY 2ND KAREN CARPENTER ALBUM THAT WAS ONCE AGAIN - NEVER RELEASED AND SHOLVED.

SCROLL TO 7:41 ON THE TIMER ON THE VIDEO WHICH WILL TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO THE POINT OF THE HISTORY OF THE MISSING SOLO ALBUM BEING LAID TO REST AS HER BROTHER RICHARD, PHIL RAMONE, JERRY MOSS(CO-OWNER OF A&M RECORDS) AND OTHER A&M EXECUTIVES EXPLAIN MORE IN DETAIL OF WHY KAREN DECIDED TO NOT GO THROUGH WITH A POSSIBLE RELEASE.

SUCH A SHAME AS THEY ARE ALL GREAT SONGS FROM SUCH A GREAT SINGER AND WONDERFUL LADY. :(.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BavzYaPo8v4

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for this posting... the Carpenters are from my very own hometown, New Haven.... did not actually know that until long after I had left!

I know what you men as she was one of a kind. Never be another one like her as she was a terribly gifted soul with such an amazing angelic voice of an angel. Really adored her, and always will. :)

That voice of hers was just stunning. It seemed to say so much more than the words actually expressed. Such depth, such emotion. I can't listen to the Carpenters without feeling sad no matter the song. I waited for the solo albums and when I heard them I must admit I was disappointed. Probably because the "Carpenters sound" is not there. I realize that's kind of the point but the solo stuff just never worked for me.

I'm sad today that so many young gay people have no idea who she was. Her voice, her music, their music (because, let's face it, Richard Carpenter is an unrecognized genius as a musican, arranger, etc.) should never be forgotten.

I waited for the solo albums and when I heard them I must admit I was disappointed. Probably because the "Carpenters sound" is not there.

I was surprised that I enjoyed the solo album. Perhaps that was because I got tired of seeing her always doing the same songs with the same arrangements always and forever. I even remember being annoyed when the Carpenters' arrangement of "Masquerade" was NOT changed so that Ella Fitzgerald would be at all accommodated when they sang it together.

KC was capable of more, but seemed straight-jacketed in that "Carpenters sound."

I was surprised that I enjoyed the solo album. Perhaps that was because I got tired of seeing her always doing the same songs with the same arrangements always and forever. I even remember being annoyed when the Carpenters' arrangement of "Masquerade" was NOT changed so that Ella Fitzgerald would be at all accommodated when they sang it together.

KC was capable of more, but seemed straight-jacketed in that "Carpenters sound."

I thought the Solo Releases were phenomenal and showed of Karen's ability to be versatile to all different types of music - she even proved her brother wrong by doing some disco. Love the song, " My Body Keeps Changing My Mind" which she did to perfection(just like most of her songs) cause it's something she can relate to knowing of her illness with Anorexia.

Thanks, JD, for letting us know about the 2nd unreleased set. I'd never heard about them.

Quite welcome, baby as it's my pleasure to share this information as it's something new and exciting for those who loved The Carpenters/Karen Carpenter music.

That voice of hers was just stunning. It seemed to say so much more than the words actually expressed. Such depth, such emotion. I can't listen to the Carpenters without feeling sad no matter the song. I waited for the solo albums and when I heard them I must admit I was disappointed. Probably because the "Carpenters sound" is not there. I realize that's kind of the point but the solo stuff just never worked for me.

I'm sad today that so many young gay people have no idea who she was. Her voice, her music, their music (because, let's face it, Richard Carpenter is an unrecognized genius as a musican, arranger, etc.) should never be forgotten.

Richard was a musical genius and it was told in they're bio that he was the main one who the family destined to be a star and not Karen.

Karen became the main star of the duo even though Richard was the original force behind they're music, and what they accomplished in the music industry historically. It is ashame so many young people don't know of them much or the music they created that to this day is priceless.

I will admit, Karen's solo album did add a different flavor and twist to her original Carpenters "squeaky clean" sound and toward more of a adult Rock/Pop genre as to where 'The Carpenters" sound was more easy listening of course. Karen's solo effort gives followers a different side of Karen that's never been expressed before in her previous work by doing this album(s) which was more of her becoming a woman in "adventurous" ways of love-making shall we say. ;)

I grew up on them. My mom loved them, and would sing a lot of their songs as they played on the radio. I remember "Top of the World" was my favorite.

My mom is a Carpenters fan, and love the Song " We Only Just Begun". Timeless Classic that'll live on forever. The Carpenters music will always be around, and forever timeless. :).

I never understood why We've Only Just Begun became so popular to sing at weddings. I think it's an incredibly depressing and sad song but I think that's more because of Karen's melancholy voice and tragic end than the actual song itself. But I can't hear that song without tearing up.

Oh, and I never tire of the "Carpenters" sound. It's the sound of my youth. I thought the disco stuff Karen did was awful but, then again, I think disco is awful in general.

I never understood why We've Only Just Begun became so popular to sing at weddings. I think it's an incredibly depressing and sad song ....

Huh?

We've only just begun to live

White lace and promises

A kiss for luck and we're on our way

(We've only begun)

Before the risin' sun, we fly

So many roads to choose

We'll start out walkin' and learn to run

And yes, we've just begun

Sharing horizons that are new to us

Watching the signs along the way

Talkin' it over, just the two of us

Workin' together day to day

Together

Together

And when the evening comes, we smile

So much of life ahead

We'll find a place where there's room to grow

Together

Together

So much of life ahead

Read more: Paul Williams - We've Only Just Begun Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Are you thinking of "Goodbye to Love" maybe?

Karen's solo effort gives followers a different side of Karen that's never been expressed before in her previous work by doing this album(s) which was more of her becoming a woman in "adventurous" ways of love-making shall we say. ;)

I remember remarking to the man I was dating at the time that it was a real loss, her death, since ballad music was making a comeback with people performing standards more often.

I remember remarking to the man I was dating at the time that it was a real loss, her death, since ballad music was making a comeback with people performing standards more often.

This following is not a criticism of you FOS, I like all your posts. But, I did not realize ballad music have ever really gone away.

When things get really scary, there's really only one place Gay men can go for redemption .

post by Steven from a long thread in the Lounge:

I am old enough to have seen Judy Garland perform three times, once at the highest point in her career (October 1961) at Boston Garden. When ballads were mentioned above, I immediately thought of Garland.

Steven included a short clip from "the Wizard of Oz" in his post. I sudddenly became aware I had never seen "The Wizard of OZ" straight through from beginning to end. Must do something about it!

Thanks for reading. William

Hurry! Someone might revoke your Gay Card! :)

I know you are kidding! But, my gay card is safe because I saw Garland perform a full concert very much like "Judy at Carnegie Hall" about five months after that concert and when the LP was the best selling record in the country. I was a college freshman at the time , and bought two tickets to the concert at Boston Garden shortly after they went in sale. The 1961 concert sold out quickly.

Huh?

We've only just begun to live

White lace and promises

A kiss for luck and we're on our way

(We've only begun)

Before the risin' sun, we fly

So many roads to choose

We'll start out walkin' and learn to run

Together

Together

So much of life ahead

Together

Together

So much of life ahead

Read more: Paul Williams - We've Only Just Begun Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Are you thinking of "Goodbye to Love" maybe?

Nope, I'm not. I'm thinking of We've Only Just Begun. As I said, in the context of her death, it becomes a very depressing song for me and that's the only context in which I now hear that song. Plus listen to her voice on the song, there's not optimism, just that sad melancholy sound of hers which is what touches so many so deeply.

I know you are kidding! But, my gay card is safe because I saw Garland perform a full concert very much like "Judy at Carnegie Hall" about five months after that concert and when the LP was the best selling record in the country. I was a college freshman at the time , and bought two tickets to the concert at Boston Garden shortly after they went in sale. The 1961 concert sold out quickly.

Definitely not gay :) Of course, I have students who think JAWS is an old movie. I guess at 40 years old it is now. Question: how have you avoided seeing Wizard of Oz?

Question: how have you avoided seeing Wizard of Oz?

I had the same question, but was too lazy to pose it. I remember watching it from start to finish every year when it was shown on TV. I always thought of it as an annual cultural ritual (or pilgrimage) akin to watching the broadcast of Mary Martin in Peter Pan and clapping for Tinkerbell's return. How did you manage to miss out?

Also, anyone remember when it was aired? I seem to remember it happening in the spring, maybe around Easter. Is that right?

More importantly, how (or why) did "friend of Dorothy" become code for gay?

I had the same question, but was too lazy to pose it. I remember watching it from start to finish every year when it was shown on TV. I always thought of it as an annual cultural ritual (or pilgrimage) akin to watching the broadcast of Mary Martin in Peter Pan and clapping for Tinkerbell's return. How did you manage to miss out?

Also, anyone remember when it was aired? I seem to remember it happening in the spring, maybe around Easter. Is that right?

Good question. Probably because I saw Mary Martin's "Peter Pan" first, live on TV on 1955 and 1956. I also saw Martin in "The Sound of Music" on Broadway in 1960. Judy Garland was a more distant figure, even though I saw her perform in person. She was a movie star.

I believe "The Wizard of Oz" was broadcast at different times each year.

You have heard of DVDs, right? LOL. I've seen it at least 20 times in my life but now enjoy on my home theater system. It is beautiful in restoration. I think it's a great and film with splendid performances .... well, except for over the top Bert Lahr who I've never warmed up to.

You have heard of DVDs, right? LOL

I was born in 1943. My parents usually took me to childens' films or westerns. But, I remember seeing a musical, either "Easter Parade" (1948) or "Annie Get Your Gun" (1950). They has good intention, but I hated the film.

It was probably "Annie Get Your Gun" because I really hate that film even now, and they may have rightfully thought it was ok for 7-year old.

Mr. Miniver, you would be shocked at how many film musicals I have never seen. It took me 40 years to watch the film version of "The Sound of Music," and I only watched it once.

Archived