How To Sell My IPhone 6 Plus?

RexAll
This topic is 3148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I realize this is a first world problem. But I'd like to buy the new 6 S Plus contract free. I just bought the 6 Plus contract free last year. But this new phone has a better camera.

So I'd like to sell my current phone. It's in very good condition. I only took it out on Sundays to make calls in church.

I have a gold 128 Gb memory. It's an unlocked GSM phone. I'd like to get about $500 for it. Is that unreasonable?

But there are obstacles.

The equivalent 6 S phone is on back order. Apple says it will take 3 to 4 weeks to get. But obviously I don't want to get rid of my current phone until I have the new one.

I realize Craig's List might be the obvious choice. But there was a murder having to do with Craig's List regarding a car sale (crooks contacted the guy selling the car) near some apartments I used to live at. And that has me spooked.

Ebay seems like a lot of trouble. Has anyone sold anything on it before?

Rex

Rex... I'm glad you asked this question as I was just going to ask something very similar as I have some pricey work related items that I no longer have a need for since I retired. I tried to sell them locally but there seems not to be anyone that I can find who is interested. The same items in used condition are listed on eBay and mine are new and in the original packaging. Fortunately the items are small and can easily be mailed, I would probably offer them them for about half the list price which is more than the used items are listed for just to get rid of them.

I know anything can be sold in eBay Heck 15 years ago I heard of a guy who sold a Jaguar on eBay! He lived in CT and supposedly drove to upstate NY and the transaction occurred in a commuter parking lot. So I guess the sky is the limit.

I get bad vibes from Craig's list as well, but who knows? Plus, I doubt that anyone interested in "tools of the dental trade" who would be looking there.

Any eBay tips (and that includes pricing) would be appreciated from here as well!

Have you gone to your provider's website to see if they have any trade in offers? Sometimes they do, sometimes not, and maybe not a good price, but at least worth a look.

If by provider you mean AT&T, Sprint, and etc, I don't really have one. I bought the phone sans contract from Apple and paid full price for it. I can then get a SIM card from most GSM phone carriers here from the USA. From what I've seen of the telephone company offers, they want to take your current phone, give you a discounted price on a new phone, and sign you up for a two year contract which is not something I want to do. I want to buy the phone outright.

Rex

for the specs on your phone ( 6 plus / 128GB / unlocked).....apple's own recycle program will give you either a store credit on next purchase or a gift card (your choice) of $ 375.....if you accept the store credit, just turn the phone in when you make your new purchase....

http://www.apple.com/recycling/

Thanks for this information. That seems low on the price though, so I'll look for something else. This phone also has AppleCare on it.

Rex

I realize Craig's List might be the obvious choice. But there was a murder having to do with Craig's List regarding a car sale (crooks contacted the guy selling the car) near some apartments I used to live at. And that has me spooked.

Ebay seems like a lot of trouble. Has anyone sold anything on it before?

Rex

Five years ago I would say Craigslist and eBay were worth the trouble. My recent foray into selling something was a high-end espresso machine. Retails new for >$400 and I was selling for $225 and was flexible on price. It works just fine and looks brand-new. The few nibbles I received were trying to get a brand-new machine for $300 off regular price. I finally decided to donate the thing and take a tax write-off. It simply was not worth the trouble.

Although I am not suggesting you donate your iPhone, I am suggesting the $125 price difference ($375 trade-in vs $500 you want) is worth the hassle. I doubt you will get $500 for the phone, particularly since Apple is now selling the iPhone 6s for under $40 per month with an annual upgrade. My suspicion is the value of that 6 Plus will diminish greatly once the 6s is readily available (e.g. when you will finally receive it) and the only folks who want the 6 Plus are those who want a cheap phone. Those who want a cheap phone are unlikely to spend $500 for it.

I sold my last 2 IPhones on Craigslist and both of them sold 24 hours within placing the ads for my asking price. I did not let them come to my home and I asked their names, ages(so as not to deal with a minor)and a location. One was a waiter at a local restaurant and I brought it to him at his job to inspect and he bought it right away. The other said he was buying it as a replacement for his wife's lost phone and i heard a woman and child in background so I agreed to meet him in my workplace parking lot and he showed up with wife and kid and bought it on the spot. Just go with your gut.

Five years ago I would say Craigslist and eBay were worth the trouble. My recent foray into selling something was a high-end espresso machine. Retails new for >$400 and I was selling for $225 and was flexible on price. It works just fine and looks brand-new. The few nibbles I received were trying to get a brand-new machine for $300 off regular price. I finally decided to donate the thing and take a tax write-off. It simply was not worth the trouble.

Although I am not suggesting you donate your iPhone, I am suggesting the $125 price difference ($375 trade-in vs $500 you want) is worth the hassle. I doubt you will get $500 for the phone, particularly since Apple is now selling the iPhone 6s for under $40 per month with an annual upgrade. My suspicion is the value of that 6 Plus will diminish greatly once the 6s is readily available (e.g. when you will finally receive it) and the only folks who want the 6 Plus are those who want a cheap phone. Those who want a cheap phone are unlikely to spend $500 for it.

Wow...sounds like my financial advisor speaking! Very sound advice! Now if my heart could only listen to logic more often! :oops:

Thanks for this information. That seems low on the price though, so I'll look for something else. This phone also has AppleCare on it.

Rex

Just hold on to it. Next year they'll come out with the 7, and it'll have an ever jee-whizzier camera. But updating every year is silly. Go every two years, so half the time you're au courant and half the time you give the others someone to look down upon.

And I doubt AppleCare is transferable.

Kevin Slater

Wow...sounds like my financial advisor speaking! Very sound advice! Now if my heart could only listen to logic more often! :oops:

Masters are able to do that. Consider this to be lesson #12. :)

Just hold on to it. Next year they'll come out with the 7, and it'll have an ever jee-whizzier camera. But updating every year is silly. Go every two years, so half the time you're au courant and half the time you give the others someone to look down upon.

And I doubt AppleCare is transferable.

Kevin Slater

In the "Learn Something New" department, AppleCare is, in fact, transferable! You can even transfer it to a new device of a similar class. Here's the process:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

However, I agree with Kevin: just wait for the 7. You should probably hold out for the 7s. That will let Apple work all the kinks out of the first-generation 7 and you will get a phone that potentially has fewer issues.

If you are willing to fork over however much a new 6s costs to receive the benefits of some incrementally better (per Apple's marketing department) features, then I don't see why you would dick around about the $125 difference between an Apple trade in and what you think your used, unrefurbished phone is worth.

Archived