A Fool For Love

edjames
This topic is 3111 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This Sam Shepard play is being revived at the Manhattan Theatre Club.

The action takes place in a seedy out-West motel room. Ex-lovers Eddie and May are unexpectedly reunited. It's one of those "get out"/'stay" affairs. It appears neither can live with 'em or without 'em. An old man sits somewhat quietly at the side of the stage. We learn this is Eddie and May's father and he later relates his side of the tale. Yes, Eddie and May are half-brother and sister and have been carrying on since high school. Eddie wants to reunite but May fears he has taken after his father, womanizing and drinking. OK, you get the dramatic picture here.

Alas, I was disappointed with this production. Yes, and early preview performance but I and those I was with left the theater with a "meh" reaction. We all found actor Sam Rockwell's projection to be lacking, or was it his mic? Nina Arianda gives another good performance, yet, it all seemed to fall flat.

1 hour and 20 minutes, no intermission.

• 2 months later...

Archived