Netflix and PPV Movie Recommendations

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 3186 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The series Black Mirror on Netflix streaming is a must see. Borgen from Denmark is a great series available on discs. The Returned from France streams.

Documentaries: 1) Waste Land 2) The Overnighters 3) Bus 174 4) Last Train Home 5) Buck 6) Standing In The Shadows Of Motown...

Indies: 1) Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring... 2) Dogtooth 3) Oslo, August 31st 4) 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days 5) A Separation 6) Wild Tales 7) Monsieur Lahzar 8) Enter The Void 9) Leviathan 10) The White Ribbon

11) Short Term 12 12) The Guest

Be sure to check reviews on Rotten Tomatoes for each of these to make sure it's something you might be interested in seeing.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

Hope you recovery goes smoothly.

currently running thru "House of Cards", a Netflix-produced series....

I love documentaries and some I've gotten and liked from Netflix include: "Helvetica", "Last Days of Vietnam", "Battle of the Bulge: Deadliest Battle", "Chicago: City of the Century", "The Men Who Built America", "Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst", and "Narco Cultura"

edit: "Narco Cultura" is not a documentary, but feels like one....very good production

My top Netflix pic is "Private Romeo". It's a gay take on Romeo and Juliet set in an all-male military boarding school. The sensual connection the two leads have is captivating - so are they! I also enjoyed the first few episodes of Netflix series "Grace and Frankie". Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda are quite funny, tho the last few episodes were lacking. It has been renewed for a second season.

Wow, 3 to 5 weeks is a loooooooong time to be laid up. With that in mind, my recommendations are more suited to a particular mood that you might find yourself in. At some points in my life, when I found I had too much free time on my hands (if only that were the case now!), my viewing tastes didn't seek out the best movies/shows necessarily but something out of the mainstream, something different from my day-to-day life. One recommendation is a movie on Netflix called "Angels of Sex," an interesting love triangle that develops between a straight couple and a sexy street kid. No, it's not a great movie, but the two leads are hot, and the sex scenes between the two guys are really hot. If you know Spanish, don't freak out while listening to the dialogue because the characters switch back and forth between Spanish & Catalan (no, Catalan is not a dialect of Spanish & yes, it's subtitled). A truly great TV series, perhaps my favorite TV show of all time, whether English or Spanish, is "Velvet." It's set in 1960 Madrid, in a house of haute couture (Las Galerias Velvet). The scion of the fashion empire has found the love of his life, a modest seamstress, and of course everything - both his family and hers, financial issues of enormous consequence - conspire against them. Well, if the two got married & lived happily ever after, there wouldn't be a show, right? Everything in this show is fantastic: the actors are beautiful & talented, the fashion & design of the era are so classic, the scripts and dialogue are top-notch, and all the details of the era (hairstyles, cars, even sunglasses) are stylishly authentic. The first two seasons (about 13-15 episodes each season, but note that episodes are 2x as long as American shows, that is, ~80 minutes instead of ~40) are on Netflix now. My third recommendation is "Plata Quemada," the story of a 1965 Argentine bank robbery in which the two leads are gay lovers. A truly great movie, but don't watch it if you need a mood-lifter.

I queued the films for when I got home, and now realized most have disappeared in the monthly Netflix purge. I did manage Plata Quemada (excellent!). And, I stumbled across White God in my "because you watched" recommendations. If you haven't seen that movie yet, you should check it out. If you stumble across anything, please feel free to share.

Archived