clarinetist worth hearing AND seeing........

tyro
This topic is 3181 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There may have been a thread on hot classical musicians a few months ago, and I'm sorry if I'm "re-threading," but I have just discovered the Berlin Philharmonic's Andreas Ottensamer and WHAT a discovery he is!!

Check him out on youtube or at his site, www.andreasottensamer.com.

T :)

PS His father and elder brother both play for the Vienna Philharmonic, but they aren't as hot. Sometimes they perform together as the Clarinotts.

Guest Starbuck

T, thanks for that. I didn't get altogether knocked off my chair when I saw the first picture you see on his website, but then I clicked on the link to the gallery and, soon thereafter, had to pick myself up off the floor.

And, since then, I have been enjoying listening to his music.

Kudos on your impeccable good taste.

Why thank you, kind Starbuck!

I'm not a huge fan of the "squinty-eyed" pic either. It's the one on the "cover" (OK, first page of the "liner notes") of his Brahms CD. The pic from his debut CD is MUCH better. Thanks for not giving up on him too early. ;)

T

Oh, to be a fly on the wall of the red-sofa room...

Oh, who am I kidding? I don't understand any German. I "suffered" (i.e. ogled AO's bottom lip and the rest of him) through his interview earlier this week on German TV. It was worthwhile suffering.

T

The first clarinetist in the San Francisco symphony, Carey Bell, is quite out.

Mr. Bell's not too shabby, but he's no Andreas!

And the more I check out his brother and father, the hotter they get. Ernst has that "silver fox" thing goin' on. I should probably tell The Fluffy One .... ;)

T

• 2 weeks later...

For Ms. T

You will be happy to know who was just named Germany's ECKO Klassik instrumentalist of the year!

Envelope please!

And the winner is clarinetist Andreas Ottensamer!

http://www.echoklassik.de/fileadmin/echoklassik/upload/image/slider/Showacts/Andreas_Ottensamer_1260x500.jpg

I'd love to taste that "licorice stick."

T

Hmmmmm! yes! Something tells me that his would be quite tasty! However, if you can't get to first base with Andreas perhaps you might get lucky with this group!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/IBkNX3V6Pok/maxresdefault.jpg

Incidentally, I prefer when a clarinet is constructed of a fine hard wood, as opposed to the dreaded metallic or heaven forbid plastic resin variety!

I prefer when a clarinet is constructed of a fine hard wood, as opposed to the dreaded metallic or heaven forbid plastic resin variety!

A highly respected maker of clarinets is now constructing instruments out of "recycled" grenadilla (normal

wood) - they take the ground wood that results from milling and boring out the instruments and bake with

6% carbon fiber. So it has very close to the same density, and will not crack due to thermal stresses.

I have one of their oboes; the sound is indistinguishable from a native wooden one.

Archived