Seen Anything Worth Seeing Lately? [NYC edition]

RyanDean
This topic is 3193 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Inspired by edjames' recent thread about The Spoils at Signature, I thought I'd start a general recommendations thread. See what happens.

I've recently returned to the NYC-area and, over the last few weeks, have seen a dozen or so shows all over town. Most of which I'd recommend. Only a few have been bway biggies (FunHome, HandToGod, TheVisit).

My strongest recommendations (aside from FunHome):

Gloria by Branden Jacob-Jenkins at TheVineyard

At the Table by Michael Perlman at FaultLine/HERE

I also quite liked Anne Washburn's 10 Out of 12 at SohoRep, but that's definitely not a show to every taste. And if you're up for the schlep to Red Bank, Be More Chill at Two River Theater is really enjoyable.

Thanks for starting this thread, Ryan. I live in Philadelphia, so in the last few years I have only gone to NY to see well-known shows, such as the King and I, The Iceman Cometh (at BAM) and Audra McDonald's Billie Holliday play.

So your recommends are important.

Eagerly awaiting "Show For Days" at Lincoln Center's Mitzi Newhouse theater at Lincoln Center with Patti Lupone and Michael Urie.

Limited run. Ends August 23. I had a hard time finding a seat!

Written by Douglas Carter Beane, Urie plays Beane’s alter ego, 14-year-old Car, in the semi-autobiographical story about a community theater in Reading, Penn. LuPone plays the head of the troupe, while Dale Soules, who recently picked up a SAG Award for her role in the cast of “Orange Is the New Black,” will portray a member of the theater’s company.

Jerry Zaks directs Lincoln Center Theater’s Off Broadway production of “Shows for Days,” which begins previews June 6 ahead of a June 29 opening.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to see Show For Days at LCT last night. Not the greatest show written by Douglas Carter Beane but a great effort by Patti Lupone and Michael Urie. Plot in brief...Michael Urie plays Car, a fictionalized version of a young 14 year old teenage Beane who becomes involved with a Redding PA local theater group. Lupone plays Irene, an over-the-top theater maven who runs the company. A first Car paints scenery and answers phone but soon he is drawn into the antics of this mis-matched group of theater fanatics and ends up writing a play for them. Irene is an married Jewish theater diva with a penchant for not stopping at blackmail nor faking strokes, to get what she wants. She's having an affair with the big hunky blond actor, but suspicions arise about his true sexuality. Car become emotionally smitten with the hunky blond actor and soon their having it off backstage! ( There is a nice quick glimpse of Urie's naked butt in this scene and for most of it he is in a pair of tighty whities.) All in all it's a fun evening of theater, but only for 9 more performances!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/30/theater/review-shows-for-days-with-patti-lupone-as-a-diva-with-depth.html?_r=0

Not yet, tho I do have tickets to see John in a couple weeks.

Have you, beethoven?

I have a subscription to Signature, and have a ticket for "John" for tomorrow (Tuesday) night. However, I've heard from friends that it's long, boring, and incomprehensible, and the NY Times review of last week seems to confirm that. I look at it this way: if I didn't already have a ticket for this, would I buy one? Obviously NOT! I think I may just stay home and watch a movie.

Uwsman, I think you're confusing "The Flick" with "The Knick." The latter is about Knickerbocker Hospital c. 1900, and I loved the first season. Haven't seen the second season yet.

"The Flick" is an interminably long play, now being revived off-Broadway, which takes place in a movie theater (I think). I believe it won a Pulitzer Prize two years ago, but I'm sure that I would not like it.

Finally caught Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder this week.

I mostly enjoyed it. Much to admire, not so much to get enthusiastic about (aside from Bryce Pinkham).

Also saw a preview performance of The Legend of Georgia McBride which is quite enjoyable, if still a bit clunky.

On the docket for this coming week? John at Signature and The Christians at Playwrights.

Archived