Sex and Money (Employing Symbols to Better Approach the Source)

SimplyAdam
This topic is 3240 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello Gentlemen -

At long last, I've submitted a piece to be published - and have gone, a bit apprehensively, public.

I'd appreciate your responses to "Sex and Money: Employing Symbols to Better Approach the Source," found at psychologytomorrowmagazine.com/sex-and-money-employing-symbols-to-better-approach-the-source.

You can read the unedited version on my blog at simplyadam.com/blog/Sex-and-Money-Part-One.

Thanks guys - and you are most welcome! I appreciate the support, and hope this article plays its little part in engaging queer men and society at large in a more open-ended, well-rounded dialogue concerning sex, money, and the two as they correspond to one another. :)

Thank you, Ted!

And, Barnaby:

What you posted is absolutely true for many. And, in many ways, was true for me my first two or three years in "the industry." I certainly get a rise from what I do, but I also could easily retire from the sucking and fucking and focus more on the creativity and connectivity of what clients and I bring to the massage bed or encapsulate on the mattress pad.

For me, the rush - the "addiction," per se - was more in being on the social fringe while crossing geopolitical borders, culminating in a police raid, an arrest, and deportation (not an anomaly in Switzerland, but perspective-giving, nonetheless). That was my (American, male, white, youthful, etc.) privileged process - an adult "coming of age."

In the aforementioned article, which I encourage you to read, I address how I went from this headlong free-for-all to evolve as a person and align the work I do with the man I am - and desire to be. It's a fresh perspective in our consumerist culture, but not entirely new. I'm also not alone in this overall movement toward doing what one already is.

The idea was to open up a dialogue and paint a broader, more nuanced picture - not a broad brushstroke of clinical conclusions. :)

Like all red-blood people, I'm no stranger to addiction! You might be interested in two blog entries I wrote on an actual "addiction" of mine in American saunas and Nepali massage parlors: www.simplyadam.com/blog/simply-addicted-part-one and www.simplyadam.com/blog/simply-addicted-part-two. I had moments in time, and then let the fantasy-finding lead me to a heightened sense of the moment I was in and the men I was with - and the man that I am.

Enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...

...And thanks to Daddy-o for featuring the article on the front page. :)

Also, as Pride nears its pinnacle in the Big Apple, I find myself veered off course into a queer alignment (of course!) within a bigger conversation about flags and fags - cultural and personal identity and headway. Here is the fruit of this satisfying frustration: www.simplyadam.com/blog/rainbow-pride-part-one

Archived