Is death just an occupational hazzard?

Becket
This topic is 3261 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have spent many a happy night at Swinging Richards in Atlanta. I have enjoyed all that establishment has to offer, including getting to know some of the kids (dancers) here and there. I hadn't been in a number of months, and was saddened to learn of the death of one of the guys. His stage name was Hunter, but his real name, obituary, and memorials are (as everything else is these days) are available online if you're curious. Just google; "Man found in ventilation shaft at local Atlanta hotel." Seriously. The article went on to say that the "police investigated and found no sign of foul play." Again. Seriously.

Hunter was 24. And I'm sad. And mad as hell about all this. I may be wrong. But it looks like the only investigation the police did was to perform a toxicity test. Any inquiries as to the cause of death were not mentioned. Because there weren't any? Because, what the hell, to them it's just one more dead "faggot" who got himself in trouble, "like those people do."? Because he danced as a stripper at a gay bar?

Here's what else Hunter was to others:. (from his obit) A friend. A son. A brother. A hard working man trying to pay his bills. A kind soul. An athlete. An encouraging participant. A model. A man. A creation of God.

I knew Hunter hardly at all. I've always kinda worried about those guys at SR. It's a party hearty job and lifestyle. At around the same time of Hunter's death, another dancer totaled his car after work and got a DUI and lots of legal shit to deal with . But how do those kids do that job and stay sober?

I love going to SR. But is it worth it when their dancers are ending up crashing their cars or mysteriously dead after hours? I'm struggling here. Don't know if I'll be back in a while. Hunter is dead. Lots of more hot guys to get lap dances from. But Hunter is dead. And that really sucks.

Hunter's tragic death is very sad. But his story is not the story of every dancer. I have had the opportunity to meet many dancers across the country and I keep in contact with several of them. Most of the guys I keep in contact with do not live a party life style. They work at the clubs and live quietly when they are home. Again I am sorry to hear about Hunter. No one should die so young.

You do seem angry about the death of this young man who I didn’t know, but I have many friends that did know him very well. When I spoke to them I pretty much got the same answer, great guy, gay activist, beautiful, handsome, great lover and all said a complete mess as far as drug use. He is the second person I know from SR that drugs had something to do with their demise. I have several friends that are dancers and if you want to get mad, get mad at the guy that is providing them drugs at first to befriend them, in hopes that they will get hooked and become their customer. This practice happens all the time.

I sometimes have mix feelings supporting establishments like SR because I am the reason why that young man is there, its easy money and many will never make this kind of income after their dance career is over. I know several dancers that have completed their college degrees and masters and they have move on but not totally happy because they still can’t make the kind of income that dancing provided. This industry has a major impact on many of these young men’s lives.

I need to stop rambling but I was troubled by your statement; “But it looks like the only investigation the police did was to perform a toxicity test. Any inquiries as to the cause of death were not mentioned. Because there weren't any? Because, what the hell, to them it's just one more dead "faggot" who got himself in trouble, "like those people do."? Because he danced as a stripper at a gay bar?” Hunter had some major demons, I am not sure if he or anyone was trying to help him but the strip clubs are probably not the best places to work on your problems.

Archived