The next Hedwig will be... Taye Diggs (!)

Robster
This topic is 3240 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This production of Hedwig has really turned out to be a great thing. Initially, it felt like more of a curiosity when Neil Patrick Harris was going to head the revival - I remember myself wondering if NPH was going to be a good choice for the role - and I think he surpassed expectations for a lot of people. We've seen a few successful replacements, including a comeback for the show's creator John Cameron Mitchell (after reports that seemingly said he had thought about it but wouldn't do it). I'm hearing excellent things about Darren Criss in the role currently. And Diggs should be great too.

• 1 month later...
I'm hearing excellent things about Darren Criss in the role currently.

I saw Darrin Criss in Hedwig this afternoon (July 4). Darrin may not be the greatest singer or actor, but he makes Hedwig his own.

Damn sexy as well, and that's an understatement.

http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/promo_650/public/media/darren-criss-hedwig-broadway-debut-2015-billboard-650.jpg tumblr_no3yxc1aw31t5btl3o1_400.gif

Taye Diggs as Hedwig... I may have to see the show again! I saw it last summer with Neil Patrick Harris and loved it. Also saw it more recently with Darren Criss. I'd say that Criss didn't bring the Hedwig character to life in the same way Harris did, but Criss is an amazing singer -- in some ways better than Harris. In my opinion, Criss surpassed Harris on the slower, more ballad like songs. He brought me to tears on the final song which is a pretty intensely emotional number. It would be crazy cool to see Diggs in this role. (Did I mention that Darren Criss has very sexy legs?)

I'd say that Criss didn't bring the Hedwig character to life in the same way Harris did, but Criss is an amazing singer -- in some ways better than Harris. In my opinion, Criss surpassed Harris on the slower, more ballad like songs. He brought me to tears on the final song which is a pretty intensely emotional number.

I thought throughout this afternoon's performance that I was sitting too close to the stage. Your comments confirm it.

It was a great, great seat visually, but probably not sound-wise. Perhaps I will go back and see Criss again before he leaves. I image that he is sexy even from the last row of the balcony. Yes, Cross has great legs. Huge holiday crowd at the stage door afterward, probably many are "Glee" fans. Just an afternoon performance today, so that may have added to the crowd.

Archived