New Forum App

jrhoutex
This topic is 3274 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Nobody has as yet started a(n unsolicited) conversation with me since the makeover, but I've started a couple.

I just simply typed in some stuff, and the other folks found it in some way and responded. Nobody has

complained about it being a nuisance.

If you start one with me I'll be glad to report in detail what I saw from my side of it :)

Is "starting a conversation" the same as sending a PM to a members inbox in the prior system? I assume you "invite" the other member to your conversation?

Basically yes jr, a "conversation" is the same as a PM on the old software. If you want to PM only one member, you "invite" them by writing their member name in the box after "participants:" If you want to share the PM with more members, you need to write each member's name separated by a comma (up to a limit of 5.) In checkboxes below the message area, you also have the option to specify whether they are allowed to invite others to join in the conversation or not, and you also have the ability to "lock" a conversation if you want, probably if you feel the topic has run it's course or if someone is being offensive.

TruHart1 :cool:

J.R. initiated an independent conversation with me, and the experience was pretty much exactly

the same as when folks have replied to ones I've started. I haven't noticed anything wildly (or even mildly)

different than the old PM system.

(When I first went to the Forum today, there was a red balloon with a 1 inside, in the upper right cornder touching "inbox", and when I clicked on it there was a listing of PM's very much like the listing I get when

I click on new posts. J.R.'s new converstation was at the top).

• 3 weeks later...

You copy the part of the other message you are replying to and paste it into the box.

I notice some replies in the forum show the reply above the post being replied to and some show the reply below. Is that due to a setting in the replier’s account?

Then you can put your comments either before or after the quote.

I notice some replies in the forum show the reply above the post being replied to and some show the reply below. Is that due to a setting in the replier’s account?

You copy the part of the other message you are replying to and paste it into the box.

Then you can put your comments either before or after the quote.

To be more specific- if you only want to 'quote' one preceding comment, hit the 'reply' button which is located at the bottom on the right hand side of the comment you want to quote . The quote will 'naturally occur at the top of the box you are replying in. But if you want to once you get into the body of your message, you can place it anywhere.

If you want to quote more than one previous comment, hit the '+quote' at the ends of the comments you like. Come down to the end of the thread where the empty box is for you to reply. Click 'insert quotes' which will place the comments you want quoted in the box. Then write your comments and hit 'post reply.'

Gman

To be more specific- if you only want to 'quote' one preceding comment, hit the 'reply' button which is located at the bottom on the right hand side of the comment you want to quote . The quote will 'naturally occur at the top of the box you are replying in. But if you want to once you get into the body of your message, you can place it anywhere.

If you want to quote more than one previous comment, hit the '+quote' at the ends of the comments you like. Come down to the end of the thread where the empty box is for you to reply. Click 'insert quotes' which will place the comments you want quoted in the box. Then write your comments and hit 'post reply.'

Gman

Thanks. I’m familiar with the ‘reply’ procedure, but haven’t used the ‘+quote’ option. I suppose I was curious why one would knowingly post a reply before (above) the post they’re commenting on. Is there a reason to do this? To me, it’s confusing to read and seems out of place.

Thanks. I’m familiar with the ‘reply’ procedure, but haven’t used the ‘+quote’ option. I suppose I was curious why one would knowingly post a reply before (above) the post they’re commenting on. Is there a reason to do this? To me, it’s confusing to read and seems out of place.

I'm sure there are other reasons. But the two I can think of would be that you might want to say something either pertinent or as 'a funny' as a lead in to what someone else has already said.

Gman

Archived