Good movie

BuckyXTC
This topic is 7434 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bucky, did you cry at the ending? The review I read said that it was a tear-jerker without being manipulative. So when I went to see it, I brought along a box of Miss Trixie's finest tissue and prepared to boohoo.

But I didn't. The movie is great, though, very well done. The daughters are adorable. I did think that the AIDS character was beyond belief, however.

Two weeks ago and friend and I went to see this film. Both of us thought it to be superb, superb, outstanding! It's poignant yet with tinges of humor. I'd definitely recommend it to all and hope the director receives either the Golden Globe and/or the Oscar for his wonderful creation.

First of all, have you ever seen anybody in the final stages of AIDS with such a great body? I didn't think so. The character was added to give the story a device upon which the other characters could grow, but he himself didn't seem to do much growing. I just didn't think that he was credible as a person with AIDS nor as a offbeat grouch who would become involved, however chaste, with thosse little girls. And, if there was all that money, then...(well, I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it.)

I also saw "In America" and thought it was wonderful. The little girls were were charming, funny and extremely natural and unforced in their acting. It is beautifully filmed and has many moments of "magic" that are quite captivating. I cried several times during the movie, not just at the end, but then it doesn't take a lot for me to tear up.

You can nitpick at some of the characterizations, but I was moved by this film and skillful manner in which it portrayed the varying ways we all deal with grief.

And although it shows the seamy side of NYC, it also shows that people can be warm and supportive even in difficult circumstances.

I highly recommend it.

I loved "In America" and thought it was one of the best films of 2003---not that I've seen that many, but.....

The actor who played the artist with HIV/AIDS is Djimon Honshu(sp??)---he was the rebel slave in "Amistad." Those who criticzed his "look" as an individual with advanced AIDS as not convincing may have a point, but I think a more unbelievable aspect of the film was the apartment house and the fact that this family not only moved in, but was able to survive with as few threats as they did. I also was "unconvinced" about the money angle---the hospital bill???---but I am willing to suspend belief at times--who doesn't?

Was the artist's name Mateo? I think so, and I was impressed with(his body of course :)) and his ability to convey emotions without saying very much. If you think his body looks good in this movie---rent "Amistad" and see what it used to be like and probably still is--I suspect he had to loe a lot of weight to get this role.

Archived