Mad men season 7b starts tonight

FreshFluff
This topic is 3248 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know we have a few Mad Men watchers here, so I wanted to start a discussion of this season.

Final episode: I have no spoilers, but I'll bet it doesn't take place in the current day (too on the nose for Weiner) but in the 80s, 90s, or early 2000s. When asked about the final episode, Weiner has told interviewers that viewers will be disappointed with it and that friends told him that the idea wasn't great. He may just be managing expectations.

Critics have posted some semi-specific spoilers for tonight's episode, "Severance," which you can find if you want.

I missed the first half hour, but here's my commentary on the rest. (Now watching the first half hour.) Spoilers, obviously.

Wow, that first scene is so hot. Haha, Don entertaining the girls with his Dick Whitman-growing-up-in-a-whorehouse stories.

Dammit!! I had read that one of his mistresses was dead. I thought it would be Midge. But it had to be Rachel Menken from season 1, the one everyone was hoping would end up with Don. That's Matt Weiner telling the fans that things aren't going to go their way.

Exchange between Peggy and her date:

Peggy: I thought you were going to be a fling, but n I think you're more. I don't want to sleep with you on the first night.

Date: That's so old fashioned

Peggy: I'm old fashioned

Date: Do you really want me to leave?

Peggy: I can see you next weekend.

A bit desperate on Peggy's part, but still, win!

You go, Ken! Head of advertising at Dow.

I missed the first half hour, but here's my commentary on the rest. (Now watching the first half hour.) Spoilers, obviously.

That's Matt Weiner telling the fans that things aren't going to go their way.

Except for seeing Pres. Nixon on TV, and hearing Peggy Lee's 1969 hit song "Is That All There Is?" at the beginning and end of the episode, it would be hard to place the episode in 1970. Did I miss other references to the year?

Except for seeing Pres. Nixon on TV, and hearing Peggy Lee's 1969 hit song "Is That All There Is?" at the beginning and end of the episode, it would be hard to place the episode in 1970. Did I miss other references to the year?

Not sure, but the writing implied that L'Eggs pantyhose, which were introduced in 1969, were new to the market at the time of the episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'eggs

Correction: The Nixon speech was delivered on April 30, 1970.

• 5 weeks later...
Loved the scene of Peggy walking in. She's going to thrive!

...and to the same music that was played when she walked into Sterling Cooper in 1960!

Truhart, I know what you mean. I'd be annoyed if he were actually smoking next to me. But as long as I don't have to inhale it, I'll let it slide. ;)

Archived