Paint Your Wagon

skynyc
This topic is 3317 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

More of a push than a review, because I don't see it until Sunday.

I have heard from many friends that this latest installment from Encores is a perfect representation of the Encores Mission: to present shows that are basically, for one reason or another, unrevivable. Terrible books, too many performers, dated, etc.

This score by Lerner and Loewe (before My Fair Lady and Camelot) is quite unknown...the Original Cast Recording is very incomplete, and the movie starring Clint Eastwood was a big flop. But it has I Talk to the Trees, I Call the Wind Maria and more.

There's a large male ensemble, and lots of dancing, choreographed by Broadway Bares hottie Denis Jones.

It plays at City Center thru Sunday, wide price range and discounts available.

Fans of classic Broadway will not want to miss it. I know I cannot wait.

Skynyc; damn did this post bring back memories. My first reaction when I read your statement that Clint Eastwood stared in the move was huh, I don't remember that -- probably because his performance was so lackluster. Whenever I think of the film "Paint Your Wagon" the name that immediately comes to my mind is LEE MARVIN.

“They Call the Wind Maria” and “I talk to the Trees” are indeed great songs but the one I always associate with this musical is “Wand’rin Star”. Sincerely wish I were in town to see it.

I usually don't look into this "Comedy and Tragedy" subforum, but caught the "Paint Your Wagon" topic in the main forum list......

one of my favorite movies (never saw a play of it) and a long list of good songs.....underrated, in my opinion.....I wonder if its limited success is because of the somewhat-narrow history appeal to mainstream theater-goers?....

wish I was 2600 miles east of here to go catch it.....

Saw it tonight. One of the best times at the theatre I've had in a long time. Just plain fun.

Saw it this afternoon. Fantastic performance. And here's some good news. At the talk-back after the matinee performance, they announced that the Frederick Loewe Foundation has agreed to underwrite a recording of this production, so there will be a new cast recording with this excellent cast that will include lots of material that was necessarily left out of the original cast recording from 60 years ago.

Archived