Stuck In The 80s

Irish69
This topic is 3364 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll contribute 3 songs for now:

First, the incomparable Stevie Wonder and his "Do I Do." I remember when this came out, and it got to the part at 5:32 on this video, I used to call it the "freak out" part lol. (Love the way he screams out "hon-ey-suck-le" lol.:p

Next, The Dazz Band's "Let It Whip." This was also around the time I was coming out, and I'm pretty sure the first time I heard this song was in a gay club in the summertime. I'm not nor every really was a club person, and I'm a horrible dancer, lol, but there's something in this song that just brings me back memories of the freedom I felt in embracing "gay culture" in my late teens. You know when you have one of those songs that just resonates with memories of your past? This is one of them for me.

Can't forget Flock of Numbskulls. I saw them open for Squeeze when nobody knew who they were. MTV hadn't quite broken out yet. Tame now, but they were pretty edgy for white middle class America back then. We used to love mocking that guy for writhing and swaying while holding down one key on the keyboard.

[video=youtube;iIpfWORQWhU]

Come to think of it, Squeeze - Black Coffee in Bed would have been a good one too.

I always hated Bananarama because I was real music geek and they were a marketing creation -- all production and no talent. Three girls shout-singing to overproduced pop tracks; no standout vocalist, no harmonies. Then this video came out featuring the glistening shirtless black boy dancers packed into cycling shorts with conspicuous bulges. I forgave them for everything.

[video=youtube;DgqPpdluoes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgqPpdluoes

I remember taping this video on our VCR and getting caught by my brother with the video paused, stepping through it frame by frame. No wonder he wasn't very surprised when I came out of the closet 20 years later...

Nvr2Thick, thanks for the "I Heard A Rumor" video. I somehow missed it during all those mindless hours wasted watching MTV & VH1, but wow, that gloriously awful video captures the 80s perfectly, LOL.

Like a lot of young gay men, Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy meant the world to me. Kansas in the 1980s wasn't an easy place for a gay kid, but Jimmy Somerville let me know that I wasn't the only one going through it.

[video=youtube;Xuz94ZIPfJk]

Nvr2Thick, thanks for the "I Heard A Rumor" video. I somehow missed it during all those mindless hours wasted watching MTV & VH1, but wow, that gloriously awful video captures the 80s perfectly, LOL.

Like a lot of young gay men, Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy meant the world to me. Kansas in the 1980s wasn't an easy place for a gay kid, but Jimmy Somerville let me know that I wasn't the only one going through it.

Thanks as well BSR. I can remember the MTV VJs giving mention to Bronski Beat's song and video for being groundbreaking because of the subject. One of my college roommates always acted disgusted even though he didn't know which song it was. Every now and then a video would be playing that my roommate thought was "gay" and he would say, "God this suck; this must be Bronksi Beat." As a closeted virginal gay guy living with three roommates it echoed the point for me.

This was one of the videos my roommate once thought was Bronski Beat:

[video=youtube;F9s9vmrJkV8]

It comes with its own Andrew Ridgeley clone.

Archived