Constellations on Broadway

Cooper
This topic is 3366 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Searched the Forum but couldn't locate a review for the Broadway show "Constellations" which opened 11/24/14 and closes 3/15/15. However, I did read a few on-line reviews but none explained the play as I saw it.

Imo, this should not be called a play but Acting Class 101. Assignment: Take 2 fine actors, Jake Gyllenhaal (a bee-keeper) and Ruth Wilson (a physicist at Cambridge), who meet for the 1st time on a balloon filled stage or, as we're led to believe, at a BBQ (no scenery and just 2 cast members). Then, start an awkward conversation that eventually leads to a serious relationship. Next: develop the relationship with meaningless chats. Now for the real challenge, repeat the dialogue over and over but, each time, say it with a different emotion and feeling to achieve a variety of reactions/scenarios. Somewhat like the scripts for "If/Then" and "Groundhog Day".

One line is, "Do you realize it’s impossible to lick the tips of your elbows". Your role is to: deliver the line seriously, then repeat the line as if you're flirting. Great! Now be angry, sad, and funny. Each time react accordingly to how the line is delivered. That's how the entire show unfolds, taking a scene and playing it out several times in alternative versions. A light will flash and a sound is made to indicate the change of the mood.

Jake Gyllenhaal, looking very good, was the draw and 95% of the time I had no problem understand his English accent. Ruth Wilson was amazing. Good chemistry between these very talented actors who are both making their Broadway debuts.

This is barely a 70 minute show with no intermission.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDcx/z/VyoAAOSwa39Uuqcc/$_58.JPG

Since the show was out so early and I had some time to kill, I took a walk down "Restaurant Row"... So many empty/closed restaurants. It's no longer the attraction it once was. Btw, this is Restaurant Week in NYC. Feb. 16th-March 6th.

Yes, a mediocre play, but with a great cast. The storyline of this effort is about as confusing as it gets. The same scene repeated several times in a different tone. This is the playwright, Nick Payne, who wrote Jake's off-Broadway debut piece If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet, another puzzling piece of theater. Broadway buzz says that Jake and Ruth will be nominated for best actor/actress Tony's. But, they and the producers achieved a very successful run and the show is sold out. It ends next week. Was it worth a full price ticket...alas, no.

Archived