Alabama Legal Issues on Marriage Equality Drag On

Bluray2
This topic is 3409 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Judge Moore is full of crap. While it's true that the current order only applies to one county, if she has to, the federal judge will order probate judges in other counties to issue licenses. All that does is tie up the courts, create more unnecessary litigation, and piss off the judge, who is likely to take any opportunity she can to stick it to the state for wasting her time.

There's a supremacy clause in the Constitution that says federal law supersedes state law in the event of a conflict. Federal constitutional law thus supersedes state law regarding marriages. If it didn't, Loving vs. Virginia, which outlawed anti-miscegnation laws, could never be enforced.

P.S. -- Since I have little to no tolerance for nonsense; I didn't watch the entire video.

P.S. -- Since I have little to no tolerance for nonsense; I didn't watch the entire video.

If you have about twenty-eight minutes to spare, YouTube has the entire exchange between Chris Cuomo and Judge Moore a few morning ago on CNN. It took me a while to realize that CNN had suspended commercials for the debate. That's one reason to watch; the other is the governor's baby brother is smarter and cuter than I realized

There is one thing (ok, more than one thing) that this idiot says that makes no sense from how we see the court system work. When a higher court makes a ruling it is accepted or applied to other cases all the time. A recent example is insider trading cases that have been dropped, and even guilty pleas allowed to be rescinded, because a Federal court ruled in one case that unless the convicted person knew the person who initially disclosed the information received something of economic value they aren't guilty. We don't see prosecutors saying "well I'll see if the court in my case will apply the same standard".

I do enjoy watching a Confederate state being reminded they are subservient to at least the US Supreme Court. Alabama with its 70 percent against same sex marriage needs another ass whooping. Just need to focus on the old white farts a couple of decades more. Young voters in Alabama don't poll the same way the toothless aged there do.

President Obama was a Harvard professor? Not interested enough to look that up and imagine Judge Moore must be right about that too :)

It's all reminiscent of George Wallace defying integration of the schools while standing on the schoolhouse steps. In Alabama, of course.

They lost that one too.

It's worth remembering, BTW, that Roy Moore was removed from the bench once before for defying a Federal court's order about displaying the 10 commandments in his courthouse. Then he got hissef reelected.

Not to fan the flames, but it was also reported that Judge Moore will still fight against

marriage equality even if the Supreme Court rules to apply the Windsor case to all

50 states in June, as they are expected to. On what basis? One can bet

that the next argument will involve that "religious liberty" stuff--i.e., that

judges, state employees, etc., can't be forced to engage in acts that violate

their freedom of religion.

Frequentlflyer---Yes, yes, yes, absolutely. It is a guilty pleasure to see the most archly anti-gay hate state in the union get it up the...

BR2

[video=youtube;FXlWwYNCO-8]

Archived