Installing Win XP, Ubuntu and Fedora

Aarian
This topic is 3401 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello all,

I still have this spare netbook that's still running Windows XP, but it's wise to replace it with something else.

So I made four partitions and I reinstalled Windows XP on the first. On the second and third I installed Fedora Linux and Ubuntu Linux, mainly to see which of the two I like best. The fourth partition is for data. I installed a separate boot manager. I didn't use Grub, because that gave severe headaches in the past.

The problem is ... Ubuntu and Fedora are not willing to boot. (All I get is a black screen after booting either of them.) Both had been installed property, but they don't seem to like it if they're being started by a boot manager they don't know ...

If anyone knows of partition software, i.e. something that can hide partitions, I'd also love to hear.

Any suggestions?

Aarian.

In my case my primary OS is Mac OS X. :cool: Using Parallels I have three different versions of Windows and a Linux distro running as VMs. The cool thing about Parallels, that I haven't seen on other platforms, is that the VPCs have access to the host disks and peripherals.

On a Windows box, you could use VMWare or MS VPC. (I haven't looked recently, but MS VPC used to be a free download.) There are others, but these are the most common.

The principle is the same either way: pick a primary boot OS, install the VPC software and then create a new VPC for each of the other OSes. If I'm setting up a VPC for "messing around" I'll usually do the messing around on a *copy* of the VPC so that when I've messed it up I can just delete it and make a fresh new copy.

You should really retire Windows XP by the way. It's no longer supported, no longer getting security updates, and getting more and more vulnerable by the day.

Archived