FYI. Is sharing photos online safe?

Cooper
This topic is 3428 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I found this youtube video rather interesting and informative. I guess if someone really wanted to find your exact location, just from a picture, this video shows how easy it could be. People who post pictures online of their family/children, valuables, trips, etc., should be aware of this. Not sure if this has happened to any of our members but it's worth knowing about.

Coop

I found this youtube video rather interesting and informative. I guess if someone really wanted to find your exact location, just from a picture, this video shows how easy it could be. People who post pictures online of their family/children, valuables, trips, etc., should be aware of this. Not sure if this has happened to any of our members but it's worth knowing about.

Coop

Fascinating and disturbing... especially when he just took a picture of the inside of his car, and it still could be tracked on via GPS to Google maps. I just went to my phone, I just found the Geo tracking location, it is in the "off mode" but it is interesting, as I had no idea that this was even possible. Thanks Coop.

Seems FB is aware of this problem and has taken steps to prevent GPS from working on your on-line photos, however, it's now easier to obtain an exact location plus information from pictures uploaded on certain sites.

This video explains more details:

Seems FB is aware of this problem and has taken steps to prevent GPS from working on your on-line photos, however, it's now easier to obtain an exact location plus information from pictures uploaded on certain sites.

This video explains more details:

Thanks for the additional information Coop. This has been a real eye opener this morning.

Archived