Pride

uwsman2
This topic is 3390 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The British film "Pride" is now available from various sources on DVD or streaming/downloads.

CBS Films decided to market it in the US as a "mainstream" film so the packaging is not explicit about it being a gay history story. Reportedly they were hoping to get a broader audience, since the buyers of gay-specific materials are limited in number. I hope the strategy works, because I want lots of straight people to see this film.

As a slice of gay history, it is delightful and entertaining, and tear-invoking at the end. It's the story of how a small group of gay activists in London in 1984 decided to make common cause with the striking Welsh miners, who had been targeted by the Thatcher Administration as the leading edge to diminish the power of the British union movement. Although the miners were standoffish at first, eventually they accepted the support of the gay group, culminating in a grand fundraiser in London with big-name bands that drew a huge crowd. Although the strike failed to achieve its goals, a bond was formed and the United Miners prevailed within the Labour Party to make gay rights part of its national platform - culminating with today's scene in which the UK is at the forefront in legal protection for LGBT rights, openly gay people are major figures in the UK, etc.

At any rate, this plays like a strong drama-comedy film, with excellent leading actors, nicely paced, directed and filmed. Worth a look. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Pride, the movie

uwsman2... Thanks for starting this thread. I watched the movie and enjoyed it very much. It's an amazing and entertaining story.

It also has all the makings for a Broadway show. Is Terrence McNally listening?

http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/PRIDE-Final-Poster.jpeg

Archived