Boyhood

uwsman2
This topic is 3402 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

See it!

I had been putting off seeing "Boyhood" because it is very long (about 160 minutes) and I find really long movies like that difficult in the theater... I usually need a bathroom break in a film that long, and find my attention wandering.

But the weather in NYC today was so crappy that I decided to stay home and watch it on my computer.

It is a fantastic film. Watching this young boy grow up into a high school graduate turns into a gripping saga. Ethan Hawke as the father is tremendous. The kid who plays the boy from very young to 18, Ellar Coltraine, is also tremendous. Richard Linklater, the director, took a gamble in undertaking a 12-year project, reassembling the cast from year to year to film new segments, so the same boy would be shown as he grows up. And the young man has you in tears by the end as he is searching for meaning in his life after coming through a real soap opera of a childhood.

This deserves its Oscar nomination.

Archived