Unbroken

uwsman2
This topic is 3429 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Continuing to check out the new films. "Unbroken" is pretty fierce, and Jack O'Connell, who plays the lead, is a looker! Of course, the hell he is put through gets kind of difficult to watch, especially the Japanese interment camp scenes where he is mercilessly abused. But the film itself is a fine piece of work, rather better than I was expecting based on the reviews. At the end, though, it does leave one shaken to see such inhumanity expressed by one people to another.

I was disappointed in this movie. It was very one-dimensional, and although one admires Zamperini's dedication, courage, perseverance, and sacrifice, that's all there is to this movie. After a while, the "merciless abuse," which is an accurate description, gets to be a bit much. The climactic moment near the end, when he triumphs over his adversaries both physically and psychologically, is absurd. No one in his weakened condition could do that, no matter how much adrenaline is pumping. Yes, the movie is well done, but as a friend said to me, it's the movie Angelina Jolie wanted to make, and not much more.

I have not seen the movie yet, but plan to. However, last Sunday national news, did a segment on the movie. Tracked down who was his apparent main abuser. He voiced no regret or remorse over anything he did. "We were trained to hate Americans."

I have also been on a movie roll. Saw Exodus, and Big Eyes. Going to see Into The Woods today.

Archived