STOP the fuck looking at your damned phones NOW!

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3463 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wow. I must confess that I'm of the age that I can remember my step-father sending us telegrams when he went working overseas. Apparently it's still possible to send telegrams! And--I swear to God this is true (OK, so I don't believe in God, but it is true)--I used to have a great aunt who lived in central France when I was a kid. To call her (from where we used to live in Paris at the time), we would call the small town's operator and ask for telephone number "1". A phone number I'll remember until the day I die, I suppose :D

To write to my great aunt, we would simply write her name, then "La Petite Maison" (the small house), then the name of the town and department. Such memories...

But to the point of the amusing video -- mobile phones ARE destroying the art of common conversation. I waste so much time with my younger relatives "texting" because they do not wish to even talk by phone; they are more adept at texting!!!!! And when walking across campus, I am struck by how many students cannot walk without their iPhone or whatever in clear sight texting rather than chatting with those walking with them. Ugh modern society.

I'm not sure I ever mentioned ... a few years ago , the then new Concert band conductor at SF State told the students in his

conducting classes that they were on notice that if he caught students using any sort of cell phone in his class he would take

it out of their hands and hurl it to the floor as energentically as he could.

Nobody ever challenged him.

The fellow has subsquently moved on to a different university paying him nearly double what SF state offered with greater

administrative support.

I am struck by how many students cannot walk without their iPhone or whatever in clear sight texting rather than chatting with those walking with them. Ugh modern society.

Introducing: Cell Phone Lanes :)

http://img.qz.com/2014/09/no-cellphones-lane.jpg?w=640

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/14/1410717265818_wps_2_Some_places_have_lanes_fo.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/07/18/article-2696568-1FBB3C0E00000578-174_634x764.jpg

Introducing: Cell Phone Lanes :)

http://img.qz.com/2014/09/no-cellphones-lane.jpg?w=640

GREAT idea!!

I think, for most people, if you're trying to walk AND use your phone (especially for checking messages/emails, texting, looking at info off an app, etc) it slows down your step. So it particularly annoys me when people just have to start checking their phones as we're all trying to step off the subway car, or go up/down stairs, or in a crowd all walking in the same direction, etc - basically any time there are people behind the phone user, hoping to move things along faster. I really think more pedestrians need more of a "pull over the the side of the road" sensibility regarding phone use - it should be common sense and common courtesy NOT to start checking your phone when a bunch of people are behind you or trying to get by you, etc. Is it that much effort to find a spot out of the way of everyone?

A couple of week ago I saw a young woman get hit by a car because she walked into the road while she was too busy texting to pay attention to where she was. She was thrown but apparently not hurt as she was able to stand. Luckily a cop saw the whole thing so the driver isn't going to be charged. This is just one example of a behavior I'm seeing more and more of: people acting as if the rest of the world ceases to exist when they are on their phone. Don't even get me started on people who text and drive.

Archived