Hollywood and Steroids

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3473 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

HOLLYWOOD AND STEROIDS: WHEN A-LIST ACTORS GO THE A-ROD ROUTE

Performance-enhancing drugs have become the key to bulging biceps and on-screen six-packs, as the pressure for stars to shape up fast leads actors to opt for a "shortcut."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/thr_style_news_image/2013/08/hr_roids_agnew.jpg

In 2005, a 30-something actor on the precipice of superstardom began prepping for a lead feature role that required ample spotlight on his abs. The actor met with the film's trainer and outlined the performance-enhancing drugs, including human growth hormone (HGH), he already had been taking. The trainer, a firm believer that a chiseled physique should be achieved naturally, recused himself from working with the actor.

"He told me that HGH made him feel like nothing else ever made him feel," recalls the trainer, who declined to be identified out of respect for trainer/trainee confidentiality. "He was basically addicted. I told him to find another trainer. He did."

That actor, now an A-lister who continues to cash in on his impressive torso, is just one of Hollywood's growing list of stars who turn to injectable HGH and other performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) amid the ever-competitive world of looking great at any age.

With its fountain-of-youth promise, HGH quietly has become the substance of choice for Tinseltown denizens looking to quickly burn fat, boost energy and even improve complexion. The drug costs up to $3,000 a month. Taken along with steroids ($50 to $150 per month), to help build muscle, the results can be startling.

Hollywood trainer Happy Hill, who has helped sculpt Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Phillippe, estimates that some 20 percent of actors use PEDs to bulk up and define. "HGH is on the scene now more than ever before," says Hill, who frowns upon PED use and stresses that none of his clients partake. "It's hard not to use. Some people, especially the older ones, are looking for that perfect gym body, and they want a shortcut."

more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-steroid-use-a-list-609091

As it happens, HGH has gotten a bad rap because of it's use/abuse by athletes and, as in this thread, image-conscious people.

HGH is a perfectly legal, excellent adjunct to hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for both men and women when a bit of an edge is needed after HRT has been started or growth hormone levels are low (it is easily measured in the blood - called IGF-1.) It is also excellent to promote well-being as well as aiding in the healing of injuries.

The two drawbacks are that it is injectable ONLY (tho the needle is tiny and very short and you just don't feel it) and the expense. If used for the added benefits of well-being/healing of injury, the cost is approximate $650-$1,000 per month, depending on your source. If used for other reasons, as in the posts above, by gym rats, body-builders, etc., it will cost in the range of $2,000 to $3,000 per month to abuse it.

I have many patients using this medication for added health benefits; none of them are abusing. I would know by the amount of refills required and the fact that they must come to the office to get it. I have also used it myself for the promotion of post-surgical healing after back surgery and it really does help.

Also be aware that it only comes as an injectable medication. There are NO oral preparations that work. Nothing on the Web is a legitimate substitute. Don't waste your money. Because of the large size of the molecule, it cannot be absorbed orally. There are some oral preparations being tested but absorption is poor.

Do not be mislead by "growth hormone supplements." They are useless and do not increase your HGH levels. Also, unless you have a "dealer/supplier" you cannot get this without a prescription and, since most pharmacies do not even carry it, you usually must get it directly from the physician or a specialty pharmacy.

As always,

Funguy :cool:

Hey Funguy...I have medical insurance that covers me 100% with a very low co-pay. Is HGH something that medical insurance would traditionally cover, either partially or completely. Thoughts?

It usually does NOT cover but, if you have your IGF-1 level measured and it is very low, possibly insurance may cover with a diagnosis of "hormone imbalance" or some other diagnosis your MD can find - it is probably easy for him/her to find a diagnosis in the ICD 9 or 10 booklet that is used for coding. Also, just because it may be a legitimate diagnosis, it still would be unusual to be covered, but not impossible. I can tell you that Medicare will NOT cover, regardless of diagnosis.

It usually does NOT cover but, if you have your IGF-1 level measured and it is very low, possibly insurance may cover with a diagnosis of "hormone imbalance" or some other diagnosis your MD can find - it is probably easy for him/her to find a diagnosis in the ICD 9 or 10 booklet that is used for coding. Also, just because it may be a legitimate diagnosis, it still would be unusual to be covered, but not impossible. I can tell you that Medicare will NOT cover, regardless of diagnosis.

Many many thanks for the information.

Funguy, thanks for the insight. The linked article said the following:

"PED (HGH) use is legal with a prescription in the U.S., but only to treat such conditions as short stature in children. However, physicians frequently are prosecuted for prescribing them for anti-aging or bodybuilding."

Is this a misunderstanding by the reporter, or does it depend on what state you are in?

I am in the anti-aging, HRT business. I have never heard of an MD being prosecuted for prescribing HGH for anti-aging or even bodybuilding EXCEPT when it has been abused/used for competition or when the physician happens to be over-prescribing other drugs such as pain-killlers, androgenic steroids, etc. Then you actually have a "dealer" who happens to be a doctor. These are the docs that authorities go after.

Archived