Don't sit next to me on a plane! Leg room fight anyone?

marylander1940
This topic is 3527 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you are too large to fit, make some other arrangement.

Today, I bumped at the gym into a huge bodybuilder. He was massive and his shoulders were so large that he could barely walk through the door.

I thought about this thread and wondered how that guy travels on a plane ...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=63df2360457884afd297f3ec077f2b29&action=dlattach;topic=430031.0;attach=474861;image

Sadly, if you don't fit the "norm" ... you're fucked up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today, I bumped at the gym into a huge bodybuilder. He was massive and his shoulders were so large that he could barely walk through the door.

I thought about this thread and wondered how that guy travels on a plane ...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=63df2360457884afd297f3ec077f2b29&action=dlattach;topic=430031.0;attach=474861;image

Sadly, if you don't fit the "norm" ... you're fucked up.[/color]

I think you're taking both sides on this thread too, obesity is bad and now you're saying some of us wouldn't mind sitting next to his hunk on a plane.

In both cases, obesity or extra muscle, if you take more than one seat, get it for free, pay extra or buy 2, it's common sense.

I think we all talked on here, unfortunately not enough first hand personal stories as I expected to see on something that affects the lives frequent flyers.

not enough first hand personal stories as I expected to see on something that affects the lives frequent flyers.

Frequent Flyers usually get upgraded to something nice and spacious.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos/view/maxsize:640,480/50b45d6416d04180acdf580c767f2254-air-nz-premium-economy-spaceseat-bulkhead.jpg

Let's not let the airlines off the hook in all this. They're the ones setting the stage by pushing the seats closer together and making the aisles narrower. They've made flying a miserable experience.

You're absolutely right! The airlines have made flying so unpleasant that I'm surprised there hasn't been a more aggressive backlash from passengers, obese or not. I'm 5'11" and weigh 155 lbs and even I have trouble getting comfortable in 31" of space and no recline. Airlines have taken out closets and lavatories to be able to install more seats. They have narrowed the width of seats from 18 to 16 inches, they have eliminated almost all amenities, and are now considering even charging to store a bag in the overhead bin. When I know I have to take a trip, I save like crazy or get the credit card out of the freezer and buy first class. The ripoff tactics the airlines get away with are disgraceful and it's all going to backfire on them one day - what goes around comes around.

The ripoff tactics the airlines get away with are disgraceful and it's all going to backfire on them one day - what goes around comes around.

I wish I could believe that but I can't. With each extra fee they've tacked on, with each amenity they've taken away, they've learned how much they can get away with. And they'll keep pushing that envelope. They know the average flyer has no choice but to put up with it. As for 'choosing another airline' - they're all alike. So many flights have been discontinued one is forced to take whatever is available, with no choice of carrier.

Number of aircraft of global airlines to double in the next 20 years

In the near future, most global travel will be carried out by aircraft. The air traffic will increase the most on routes to and from newly developed countries. The use of aircraft transport will increase 4.7% in the next 20 years, creating demand for 29,220 new passenger and cargo aircraft. Their total worth is estimated at $4.4 trillion.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/World-airline-routemap-2009.png

27,350 of those new aircraft will replace their now outdated counterparts. This means the number of aircraft owned by airlines in the world will double in the next 20 years, according to Airbus Global Market Forecast results.

A number of factors directly and indirectly impact the need to cover large distances: economic growth, growing middle-class, general flight affordability, travelling comfort and ease, urbanization, development of the tourism industry, migration and others. Because of the growing urbanization, there is a growing number of emerging big cities in the world. 99% of all long-distance travel in the world will be between cities.

The growing intensity of passenger transport has created a need for larger aircraft. The size of an average aircraft grows 25% every year.

Focusing on long-term development, manufacturers have reduced the overall fuel consumption and noise output by 70% in the last 40 years. This is reflected in the latest next-gen aircraft like A320 Neo, A320 Sharklet, A380 and A350 XWB.

The intensity of domestic flights will also increase in the next 40 years. India is currently the leader in this segment (10%), followed by China and Brazil (7%). Air traffic is currently growing at a general rate of 5.5%. 36% of all aircraft demand will be in countries of Asia and the Pacific Ocean, followed by Europe (20%) and North America (19%).

There is currently demand for 1,334 large aircraft (A380) in the world. The total worth is estimated at $519 billion. 47% of them are required by Asian and Pacific countries, 26% – countries of the Middle East and 16% – Europe. It is expected that demand will grow four times in the next 20 years.

In the segment of two-aisle aircraft (A350 XWB and A330), there is currently demand for 6,770 aircraft worth a total of $1.82 trillion.

Archived