Broadway Production Recommendations! HELP! HELP!

This topic is 3592 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At another site I posed this question: What Broadway dramas/musical performances would you recommend? To date I have had absolutely no suggestions, so I'm posting the same query here.

In September I plan to be in New York City for my birthday. I plan to be there for almost five days and desire to take in some plays. ...have already booked KINKY BOOTS but would like at least two more experiences before I leave 'The Big Apple.' Two plays that I'd wanted to attend will no longer be available, so what are your suggestions, men? I patiently await your recommendations!!

According to today's print edition of the New York Times, the following options are available in Sept:

"Lady Day at Emerison's Bar and Grill" until Sept 21

"Hedwig and The Angry Inch" with Andrew Rannells

"A Gentleman's Guide To Love & Murder"

"Beautiful: The Carole King Musical"

"Cabaret" with Ann Cumming

Steppenwolf's "This Is Our Youth" begins previews in August

"If/Then," "Rocky," "Motown: The Musical" and "Bullets Over Broadway" may well still be playing in Sept. "Aladdin" will certainly still be playing. I have stuck with plays/musicals that opened in the 2013-2014 theater season. The five that I first mentioned would be my picks. Good luck and have a great time. (I was surprised that so much was available in Sept, because it can be a slow month.) I expect others will disagree with my choices, which is good because you want several people to post, not just one.

I di not mention "It's Only A Play" because I was not sure how much you want to spend for tickets.

If you like great music from Stephen Schwartz and Cirque-De-Soleil type acrobatics, I would recommend Pippin. Kyle Dean Massey plays the lead role and is terrific, and the show overall will make you laugh and smile. If you have never seen it, I would also recommend Wicked which is a NYC theatre staple here. Have fun!!

The TKTS booth is a great place to do one stop shopping. A lot of the plays mentioned are often there at half price. You can put the tkts app on your phone and see whats available that day before you even get on the line which moves pretty quickly. From my experience Tuesday and Wednesday nights are often the best nights to pick up last minute tickets.

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time starts previews September 10th. I recently saw the National Theater Live production and it's one of the best shows I've seen. It won 7 Olivier awards in London and

I will see it again here in New York. This Is Our Youth is a very good play I've seen previously and will see again. Don't know when Disgraced starts previews but it's good as well.

Looks like a great fall for theater here in New York. Based on reaction to the tryout at Papermill Playhouse Honeymoon In Vegas will be the big musical hit of the year.

Playbill tells us:

DISGRACED

Theatre: Lyceum Theatre

First Preview: September 27, 2014

Opening: October 23, 2014

Written by Ayad Akhtar

Director: Kimberly Senior

Cast: Hari Dhillon, Gretchen Mol, Karen Pittman, Josh Radnor

The story of a successful Muslim-American lawyer and his wife, enjoying their comfortable and successful life on New York’s Upper East Side. When a co-worker and her husband come to dinner, what begins as polite table conversation explodes, leaving everyone’s relationships and beliefs about race and identity in shards.

The New York Times first reported in July 2013 that Disgraced was eyeing a Broadway run, with producer Matthew Rego attached. Ayad Akhtar's play won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Aasif Mandvi, who led the off-Broadway run, will not return - instead the show will star Dhillon, who led the London premiere.

Here are the current Broadway shows selling with a discount from Playbill.com:

Broadway

Bullets Over Broadway

Cinderella

Holler If Ya Hear Me

If/Then

Jersey Boys

Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill

Mamma Mia!

Motown The Musical

Newsies

Of Mice and Men

On The Town

Once

Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages: Early Bird Special

Rocky

The Phantom of the Opera

This Is Our Youth

Violet

Here are the current Broadway shows selling with a discount from Playbill.com:

Broadway

Bullets Over Broadway

Cinderella

Holler If Ya Hear Me

If/Then

Jersey Boys

Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill

Mamma Mia!

Motown The Musical

Newsies

Of Mice and Men

On The Town

Once

Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages: Early Bird Special

Rocky

The Phantom of the Opera

This Is Our Youth

Violet

It should be noted that This Is Our Youth and On The Town are not yet actually playing - by September, This Is Our Youth will be up. On The Town doesn't start previews until 9/20.

On The Town is a huge favorite of mine - it's been revived several times and has yet to really do well in revival. I hope this one will work. They are using the full original orchestrations, which is a good start.

Archived