House of Cards

MFLV
This topic is 3624 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just finished watching season One and damn is that what it is really like in DC politics ??!! Anybody else watching it ?

Actually, HOC is based on a BBC series from 1993. I saw the original when it was broadcast on PBS. The lead was played Sir Ian Richardson in the three series. The main character was Francis Urquart which became Frank Underwood in the US version.

So in reality the series is about British politics. Or rather the universal aspects of politics regardless of where and when.

I highly recommend the British version of this series over the US adaptation. Though I will give Kevin Spacey his props in coming close to Ian Richardson's portrayal of such a Machiavellian character. Perhaps no other American actor would do the character justice.

I have watched about 6-7 shows and to be honest I just don't like the series. I get turned off by all of the shenanigans going on as they play out the dirty laundry of politics and the meanness to each other. I would rather live in peace. I know that you are supposed to get taken away into their world and live there at least during the show, but it is just too much for me.

I tend to agree with cougar in that I am a little put off regarding all the back stabbing. It gets tiresome. I got through season one and moved onto the first episode of season two but not sure if I want to put in anymore time. I found myself thinking, who does this ? And how the two main characters interact is so unrealistic. He smashes the kitchen faucet and all she can say is did you sleep well last night ? WTF and then she fixes it herself !! Anyway, I have heard that it gets better later in the second season so I might just plow through it. Just wondering what people think about it ?

Guest boiworship08

I just started watching it and find it to be a pleasant diversion. Kevin Spacey does the role well, as does Robin Wright. It strikes me as a bit unrealistic, since most of the men in DC seem to be beta drones, although there's a strong presence of sociopathy there as well.

Actually, HOC is based on a BBC series from 1993. I saw the original when it was broadcast on PBS. The lead was played Sir Ian Richardson in the three series. The main character was Francis Urquart which became Frank Underwood in the US version.

So in reality the series is about British politics. Or rather the universal aspects of politics regardless of where and when.

I highly recommend the British version of this series over the US adaptation. Though I will give Kevin Spacey his props in coming close to Ian Richardson's portrayal of such a Machiavellian character. Perhaps no other American actor would do the character justice.

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. It's an adaptation of the source material. It's NOT about British politics at all. It's about AMERICAN politics. There is nothing British about it. It takes the title and that's really just about it ... some of the situations but otherwise it's completely original.

The original Brit series was brilliant on almost every level (except the third series which got rather silly) and so is the American adaptation. Spacey is great but the real star here, for me, is Robin Wright who is absolutely chilling in her Lady Macbethish role.

I have watched about 6-7 shows and to be honest I just don't like the series. I get turned off by all of the shenanigans going on as they play out the dirty laundry of politics and the meanness to each other. I would rather live in peace. I know that you are supposed to get taken away into their world and live there at least during the show, but it is just too much for me.

Out of curiosity, what shows do you watch and like? Based on above comments, I would think the only two that could possibly qualify would be The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie :)

Archived